Førsteamanuensis - Fakultet for humaniora, samfunnsvitenskap og lærerutdanning
Teaching in Political Science, including security studies and international relations theory. Research in international relations, Chinese, East Asian and Russian politics and foreign policy, as well as Arctic politics and Asia-Arctic diplomacy.
- Lanteigne, Marc; Stünkel, Larissa. How a German Frigate in the South China Sea May Upend Beijing-Berlin Relations. The Diplomat 2021.
- Hoogensen Gjørv, Gunhild; Lanteigne, Marc; Sam-Aggrey, Horatio Godfrey. Understanding Arctic Security: What Has Changed? What Hasn’t?. Routledge 2020 ISBN 978-1-138-22799-6.s 1 - 12.s doi: 10.4324/9781315265797.
- Hoogensen Gjørv, Gunhild; Lanteigne, Marc. The Widening Spectrum of Arctic Security Thinking. Routledge 2020 ISBN 978-1-138-22799-6.s 427 - 431.s doi: 10.4324/9781315265797.
- Sam-Aggrey, Horatio Godfrey; Lanteigne, Marc. Environmental Security in the Arctic: Shades of Grey?. Routledge 2020 ISBN 978-1-138-22799-6.s 102 - 113.s doi: 10.4324/9781315265797.
- Lanteigne, Marc. Considering the Arctic as a Security Region: The Roles of China and Russia. Routledge 2020 ISBN 978-1-138-22799-6.s 311 - 323.s doi: 10.4324/9781315265797.
- Lanteigne, Marc. Great Powers in the Arctic: Changing Perspectives. Global Asia 2020; Volum 15 (4). ISSN 1976-068X.s 16 - 21.
- Lanteigne, Marc. The China–Switzerland Free Trade Agreement and Economic Identity-Building. Journal of Contemporary China 2019; Volum 28 (118). ISSN 1067-0564.s 614 - 629.s doi: 10.1080/10670564.2018.1557949.
- Lanteigne, Marc. China's UN peacekeeping in Mali and comprehensive diplomacy. The China Quarterly 2019; Volum 239. ISSN 0305-7410.s 635 - 655.s doi: 10.1017/S030574101800173X.
- Hirono, Miwa; Jiang, Yang; Lanteigne, Marc. China's New Roles and Behaviour in Conflict-Affected Regions: Reconsidering Non-Interference and Non-Intervention. The China Quarterly 2019; Volum 239. ISSN 0305-7410.s 573 - 593.s doi: 10.1017/S0305741018001741.
The politics and foreign policy of China; Northeast Asian politics and political economy (China, Japan, North and South Korea, Russian Far East); Arctic foreign policy and regional relations, including Asia-Arctic diplomacy; international relations theory and practice; security studies including economic and non-traditional security.
Current Research Interests
- Comparative Chinese politics and foreign policy / international relations, including local and regional institution-building, security and political economy
- Comparative international and regional organisation, theory and practice
- East Asian and Russian Far East domestic politics, security and regional diplomacy
- Traditional / non-traditional security studies, (also war to peace transitions, peacekeeping)
- Economic security / comparative Asian approaches to international political economy
Chinese Foreign Policy: An Introduction (London and New York: Routledge, 2009). (Second edition published January 2013, Third edition published December 2015, Fourth edition published 2019).
Nordic-China Diplomacy ed. with Wrenn Yennie Lindgren and Bjørnar Sverdrup-Thygeson, (New York and London: Routledge, 2017).
China’s Evolving Approach to Peacekeeping ed. with Miwa Hirono (London and New York: Routledge, 2012). (Paperback version, August 2014).
The Chinese Party-State in the 21st Century: Adaptation and the Reinvention of Legitimacy, ed. with André Laliberté (London and New York: Routledge, 2008); (paperback version, 2013).
China and International Institutions: Alternate Paths to Global Power (London and New York: Routledge, 2005); (Paperback version, 2007).
‘Russia, China and the Shanghai Cooperation Organization: Diverging Security Interests and the “Crimea Effect”,’ Russia's Turn to the East: Domestic Policymaking and Regional Cooperation, ed. Helge Blakkisrud and Elana Wilson Rowe (Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave, 2017), 119-38, https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-69790-1.
(with Ulf Sverdrup) ‘Sino-Nordic Sub-regional Diplomacy and the “5+1” Model,’ China and Nordic Diplomacy, ed. Bjørnar Sverdrup-Thygeson, Wrenn Yennie Lindgren and Marc Lanteigne (London and New York, Routledge, 2017), 121-32.
‘Iceland’s Small State Diplomacy with China,’ China and Nordic Diplomacy, ed. Bjørnar Sverdrup-Thygeson, Wrenn Yennie Lindgren and Marc Lanteigne (London and New York, Routledge, 2017), 60-76.
(with Lina A. Alexandra) ‘New Actors and Innovative Approaches to Peacebuilding: The Case of Myanmar,’ Rising Powers and Peacebuilding: Breaking the Mould? Ed. Charles T. Call, Cedric de Coning (Cham, Switzerland: SpringerLink, 2017), 191-241.
‘The Russian Far East and the Northern Sea Route in Evolving Sino-Russian Strategic Relations’, Huang Jing and Alexander Korolev (eds.) The Political Economy of Pacific Russia: Regional Developments in East Asia (Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave, 2017), 181-202.
‘Vanuatu,’ Pacific Ways: Government and Politics in the Pacific Islands, ed. Stephen Levine (2nd edition) (Wellington: Victoria University Press, 2016). 261-71.
‘The South China Sea in China’s Developing Maritime Strategy,’ Power Politics in Asia’s Contested Waters: Territorial Disputes in the South China Sea, ed. Enrico Fels and Truong-Minh Vu (New York: Springer, 2016), 97-115.
‘China’s Economic Security,’ Routledge Handbook of Chinese Security, ed. Lowell Dittmer and Maochun Yu, (New York and London: Routledge, 2015), 49-63.
The Changing Shape of Arctic Security,' NATO Review, 28 June 2019, https://www.nato.int/docu/review/2019/Also-in-2019/the-changing-shape-of-arctic-security/EN/index.htm.
'European Troubles and Norway’s Three-Point Game,' Global Brief, 20 June 2019, https://globalbrief.ca/2019/06/european-troubles-and-norways-three-point-game/.
'China's UN Peacekeeping in Mali and Comprehensive Diplomacy,' China Quarterly (March 2019), https://doi.org/10.1017/S030574101800173X.
(with Miwa Hirono and Yang Jiang), 'China's New Roles and Behaviour in Conflict-Affected Regions: Reconsidering Non-Interference and Non-Intervention,' China Quarterly (March 2019),
'The China–Switzerland Free Trade Agreement and Economic Identity-Building,' Journal of Contemporary China, (January 2019), https://doi.org/10.1080/10670564.2018.1557949.
‘The Role of U.N. Peacekeeping in China’s Expanding Strategic Interests,’ United States Institute of Peace - Special Report (18 September 2018), <https://www.usip.org/publications/2018/09/role-un-peacekeeping-chinas-expanding-strategic-interests>.
‘Kiina kurottaa pohjoiseen,’ [‘China Reaches the North’], Ulkopolitiikka, 12 September 2018, https://www.ulkopolitiikka.fi/lehti/3-2018/kiina-kurottaa-pohjoiseen/.
‘Book Review: “China’s Soft Power Diplomacy in South Asia: Myth or Reality?” by B.M. Jain, China Quarterly 233(March 2018): 249-50.
‘ “The Rock That Can’t be Moved”: China’s Revised Geo-strategies in Myanmar,’ Pacific Review (December 2017), https://doi.org/10.1080/09512748.2017.1419276: 1-19.
‘试析中国维和观念的演变,’ [‘Analysis of the Evolution of China's Peacekeeping Concept,’] 国际政治研究 International Political Studies – Peking University 4(September 2017): 53-67.
‘Walking the Walk: Science Diplomacy and Identity-building in Asia-Arctic Relations,’ Jindal Global Law Review 8(1)(April 2017): 87-101.
‘ “Have You Entered the Storehouses of the Snow?” China as a Norm Entrepreneur in the Arctic,’ Polar Record 53(2)(March 2017): 117-30.
‘Norden og Kina: «Smått er godt» Islands økonomiske diplomati med Kina,’ (“Small is Beautiful”: Iceland’s Economic Diplomacy with China,’ Internasjonal Politikk 74(3)(Autumn 2016), <https://tidsskriftet-ip.no/index.php/intpol/article/view/497>.
‘Choppy Waters: The “Return” of Fiji to Pacific Affairs After the 2014 Election,’ Third World Thematics: A Third World Quarterly Journal (June 2016),
‘The Role of China in Emerging Arctic Security Discourses,’ S+F Sicherheit und Frieden / Security and Peace 3(2015): 150-5.
(with Su Ping) ‘China’s Developing Arctic Policies: Myths and Misconceptions,’ Journal of China and International Relations 3(1) (May 2015): 1-25.
(with Aglaya Snetkov), ‘The Loud Dissenter and its Cautious Partner – Russia, China, and Global Governance and Humanitarian Interventions,’ International Relations of the Asia-Pacific 15(1)(January 2015): 113-46.
‘Fire Over Water: China’s Naval Modernisation and the Anti-Piracy Operations,’ Pacific Review 26(3)(2013): 289-312.
[Citation] Isabelle Facon, ‘Pékin et Moscou, complices mais pas allies,’ Le Monde diplomatique, August 2018, 7-8. <https://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/2018/08/FACON/58982>.
‘Zimbabwe's Election and an Uncertain Future,’ New Zealand Herald, 11 August 2018, <https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503459&objectid=12104598>.
[Quotation] A Silk Road Through the Ice: China Wants to be a Polar Power,’ The Economist, (12 April 2018): 27-8.
(with Mingming Shi), ‘The (Many) Roles of Greenland in China’s Developing Arctic Policy.’ The Diplomat, 30 March 2018, <https://thediplomat.com/2018/03/the-many-roles-of-greenland-in-chinas-developing-arctic-policy/>.
‘Northern Crossroads: China and Russia in the Arctic,’ National Bureau of Asian Research, Washington DC, 27 March 2018, <http://www.nbr.org/research/activity.aspx?id=853>
‘Trump-Kim talks: What's at Stake for New Zealand Isn't Just Peace,’ Stuff (New Zealand), 9 March 2018, <https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/102146500/trumpkim-talks-whats-at-stake-for-new-zealand-isnt-just-peace>.
[Interview] ‘Breyttar horfur í Asíu,’ (‘Changed Outlook in Asia’), Interview for Morgunblaðið, Reykjavík, 8 March 2018, <https://www.mbl.is/mogginn/bladid/innskraning/?redirect=%2Fmogginn%2Fbladid%2Fgrein%2F1675217%2F%3Ft%3D261026944&page_name=grein&grein_id=1675217>
[Podcast] ‘China’s Polar Push: A Conversation with Marc Lanteigne,’ China Power Project, Centre for Strategic and International Studies, Washington DC, 26 February 2018, <https://www.csis.org/podcasts/chinapower/chinas-polar-push-conversation-marc-lanteigne>.
Ph.D. (Political Science), McGill University, Montréal (2002)
- STV-1006 Arctic Norway
- STV-2005 Global Political Economy
- STV-2008 International Security
- STV-2047 Migration
SVHUM D 2023
Klikk for større kart