INF-2201 Operating system fundamentals - 20 ECTS
Knowledge; students should get:
- fundamental concepts of operating systems
- fundamental knowledge of various approaches to development of operating systems
- experience on fundamental issues of developing operating systems
Skills; students should be able to:
- develop their own working operating systems
- design and combine different techniques to build an operating system with required features
General competence; students should get
- understanding of how to design and develop operating systems
- understanding of the tradeoffs between performance and functionality, division of labor between hardware and software.
This course is available for inbound exchange students.
This course has recommended academic prerequisites. Please see the «Prerequisite» section for more information.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
Deliverables: Submission of 6 mandatory assignments (projects) is required to fullfill the course. Each of the 6 assignments consist of 1) a design review and possibly a demonstration of a working system, and 2) a practical programming assignment. All design reviews and some of the practical programming assignments are evaluated as "Approved" / "Not approved". Fullfilling the course requires that all of these are approved. The remaining practical programming assignments are parts of portfolio exam and will be considered more carefully towards a single final grade in the range A-F. NB! Attendance at the first lecture is mandatory. Students must expect an intensive coursework from the start.
Grading scale: Letter grades A-E, F - Fail.
Re-sit examination: It will not be given a re-sit examination in in this course.
Postponed examination: Students with valid grounds for absence will be offered a postponed examination for the module in question. If practically possible the examination are arranged during the semester as soon as the reasons for absence have ceased.
For further details see: Utfyllende bestemmelser for eksamener ved Fakultet for naturvitenskap og teknologi (only in Norwegian) | Regulations for studies and examinations at the UiT
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 20
- Course code: INF-2201
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for informatikk