BIO-2010 Marine Ecology - 10 ECTS
Applicants from Nordic countries must have:
Generell studiekompetanse, samt følgende spesielle opptakskrav:
Matematikk R1 eller matematikk S1+S2 og i tillegg ett av følgende programfag:
- Matematikk (R1+R2)
- Fysikk (1+2)
- Kjemi (1+2)
- Biologi (1+2)
- Informasjonsteknologi (1+2)
- Geofag (1+2)
- Teknologi og forskningslære (1+2)
Application code: 9197 (Nordic applicants).
It is a requirement that students have minimum 30 ECTS of biology and ecology and some prior knowledge of chemistry and mathematics. (Participants must have taken introductory level university courses, and achieved pass grades, in these subjects).
Maximum 35 students due to limited capacity on the boat.
After having completed the course, students will be able to
- explain how the physical environment affects marine organisms and communities, including dispersal and zonation of populations, and climate effects.
- describe the differences between estuarine, coastal and oceanic biotopes
- compare the general features of the classical marine food chain and the microbial loop
- discuss the importance of seasonal variations and the consequences for life cycles in pelagic populations
- describe processes that link pelagic and benthic environments
- give examples of how pollution and human activities may impact marine habitats
- Use common field sampling gear and standard lab equipment for the investigation of different types of marine organisms
- Choose appropriate methods for simple investigations of marine organisms and biotopes
- Estimate abundance and biomass of pelagic and benthic organisms
- Interpret diagrams from a CTD-instrument and explain what this means for marine organisms
- work independently and in collaboration with the processing of marine scientific samples and data
- to collect and summarize scientific information from articles and web sources
- present scientific results in written and oral form
This course is available for inbound exchange students at a biology studyprogram.
This course has academic prerequisites. Please see the «Admission requirements» section for more information.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
|Oral exam||A–E, fail F|
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Cruisereport||Approved/ Not approved|
|Labreport||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: BIO-2010
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for arktisk og marin biologi
- Spørsmål om emnet
- E-post: email@example.com