FYS-2000 Quantum mechanics - 10 ECTS
Generell studiekompetanse eller realkompetanse + Matematikk R1 eller (S1+S2) og enten Matematikk (R1+R2) eller Fysikk (1+2) eller Kjemi (1+2) eller Biologi (1+2) eller Informasjonsteknologi( 1+2) eller Geologi (1+2) eller Teknologi og forskningslære (1+2).
Local admission, application code 9336 - enkeltemner i realfag.
Knowledge: The student is able to
- describe the strength and limitations of Bohr's atomic model;
- describe the Schrödinger equation, wave functions and their physical interpretation;
- describe stationary and non-stationary states, as well as expectation values;
- describe the concepts of spin and angular momentum in quantum physics.
Skills: The student is able to
- use the Schrödinger equation to describe simple one-dimensional systems
- use the solution to compute probabilities, expectation values, uncertainties and time evolution of the systems
- explain the structure of the periodic system of the elements
General expertise: The student is able to
- understand the role of measurements in quantum systems
- the wave-particle duality of photons
- the role of quantum effects to explain physical phenomena of modern physics
Final 4 hour written exam, counting 100%.
Assessment scale: Letter grades A - F.
Re-sit examination (section 22): Students having failed the last ordinary eamination are offered a re-sit examination early in the following semester, if the course is compulsory in their study programme, otherwise given that an examination is already being arranged.
Postponed examination (sections 17 and 21): Students with valid grounds for absence will be offered a re-scheduled early in the following semester.
See indicated sections in Regulations for examinations at the UIT The arctic university of Norway for more information.
Up to 4 approved madatory assignments during the course. Approved course work requirement from previous years gives access to the final examination.
Error rendering component
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: FYS-2000
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for fysikk og teknologi
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet