REI-3005 Tourism Marketing - 10 ECTS
Applicants must have a bachelor's degree (180 ECTS), or an equivalent qualification, with a minimum of 80 ECTS within tourism, out-door recreation, event studies, marketing and communication, social sciences, humanities or education. Applicants must have a minimum of 5 ECTS in research methods to fulfil the admission requirements.
Applicants who hold a bachelor's degree or equicalent issued in Nordic countries, Europe, Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand: An average grade strong C is a minimum requirement.
Applicants who hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent issued in countries other than the above mentioned region/countries: An average grade B is a minimum requirement in addition to fulfilling formal admission requirements for Master's level entry.
The average grade is calculated from the entire bachelor´s degree.
Non-EU applicants need to have a Higher Education Entrance Qualification from their home countries and certified fulfilment of English language requirements.
Application code: 9731 (nordic applicants)
Students should obtain the following learning outcomes:
Knowledge: the student should have
- a thorough knowledge of seminal and contemporary marketing theories and their impact on society to support the understanding of tourism objectives
- an in-depth knowledge of how marketing theories have developed and responded to market and societal changes and how these changes have challenged tourism enterprises
- an in-depth knowledge of how key marketing issues can support sustainable and responsible tourism development
- an in-depth knowledge of how marketing issues can impact tourism enterprises and their marketing efforts
- an in-depth knowledge of how marketing innovation in tourism enterprises can impact sustainable an responsible nature and heritage tourism
Skills: the student should be able to
- relate critically to different sources of market and marketing information
- analyze and relate critically to marketing research literature, its theoretical positions and challenges
- analyze existing marketing theories and apply them in an independent work for problem solving
- identify and carry out marketing activities that will increase service value creation
Competence: the student should be able to
- critically reflect on the significance of marketing for tourists, enterprises, the tourist industry, and society
- apply theoretical reasoning in tourism marketing
- contribute to increased systematic and analytic market understanding among tourism enterprises and to market innovations
- knowledge of marketing, both as a subject and function - knowledge of how marketing has developed as a discipline - knowledge of how key issues affect corporate marketing - knowledge of how market-orientation, networks and relations impact tourism companies' marketing efforts - knowledge of how emerging issues in marketing can enhance the understanding of tourism industry
Skills: - convey a critical approach to corporate marketing - identify and implement activities that will increase tourism companies' degree of market orientation - conduct an independent, limited research project under supervision - convey a certain amount of scientific knowledge in written and oral form.
General competence: - keep track of the literary sources and major publications in the field - reflect critically on the significance of marketing for businesses, tourism, and community and how market and social challenges have influenced marketing - apply theoretical reasoning in travel and tourism marketing - contribute to increased systematic and scientific thinking in company marketing - contribute to new thinking in innovation processes related to travel and tourism marketing
Lectures will be given in an intensive mode (classes given in blocks) in autumn semester only. The students are expected to work 280 hours.
Teaching will consist of seven lectures (3x45 min), which include student involvement in classroom discussions, group and individual tasks. The students, alone or in smaller groups, will give one oral presentation and one set of feedback on another student's presentation.
The course will be evaluated in accordance with the quality systems of UiT - The Arctic University of Norway.
|Off campus exam||
Utlevering: 18.10.2023 kl. 09:00
Innlevering: 21.11.2023 kl. 14:00
|A–E, fail F|
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Assignment||Approved/ Not approved|
|Attendance||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Alta |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: REI-3005
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for reiseliv og nordlige studier
- Spørsmål om emnet
- E-post: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet