Foreign employees and guests

Welcome to UiT The Arctic University of Norway! 

These pages provide information about how to enter a new position at UiT in Norway. Information about work regulations is also provided. This information is convenient also for foreign employees visiting UiT for a shorter period of time.

At you find information about requirements for residency in Norway. Once at your desk, you find good information at Welcome to new employees | UiT 

Welcome meetings: 

UiT arranges Welcome meetings for new employees from abroad, officially wishing you welcome to UiT, and providing central information about obligations, responsibilities, and benefits as an employee at UiT, the resources provided by the University library, IT- services, work regulations, TODOS, trade unions and other social arrangements

from 10-14:30 

Friday February 16 and Thursday September 12 in 2024, in 2025 Thursday February 13 and Thursday September 11 (week 7 and 37 every year).

The meetings will be streamed virtually by Teams, physically the venue at campus Tromsø is AUD UB 132, at other campuses when needed to be announced.

All physically present at the meeting are invited to meal at MAT at Campus Tromsø, other campuses when relevant will also organize meals. 

Seminars about Norwegian culture and working environment:

There will be workshops "Cracking the code to Norwegian Working Culture" by Lorelou Desjardins, March 1 and October 11 2024.

Please klick here for information and registration for the workshop Friday March 1 2024 at SVHUM E0101 campus Tromsø. 

The next workshops will be October 11 2024, March 14 2025 and October 10 2025, all at SVHUM E0101 at campus Tromsø.

The workshops will be announced at Tavla, and you will receive an invitation. Your host department will provide more detailed information.

Regularly scheduled events for employees from abroad at UiT: 

  • Every beginning of December: Polar Night Celebration in the Main Cantina (Teorifagbygg 1) campus Tromsø..
  • April 26/4 11:30-13:30 Arctic Sun Celebration: May 17  Employees and students from abroad are invited to learn about the Norwegian celebration of May 17, listen to music and eat sausages and ice cream.

Other events for all employees:

Skiing courses in Tromsø Alpinpark for all levels- beginners to advanced . Planned: a one day/evening in November-24, then with a follow up in February/March.

Invitation to these events will be announced here. at Tavla, and communicated to you by the EURAXESS contacts at your faculty and at Helsefak at your department.

If you have any questions, please contact us via:
or phone: +47 77 62 31 91

More information about UiT.
To enter Norway to start working at UiT, you need to make an account in UDI's application portal and apply for visa and a residence permit for work in Norway. You will receive information by UDI how to proceed, and the Recruitment Section at UiT will provide you with the formal documentation of your affiliation to UiT The Arctic University of Norway.

Create your individual account at UDI and download all documents confirming your nationality, education, etc. UDI then has access to see these documents and check that you are eligible to enter Norway and to work at UiT. UiT may not access your account; this is relates to rules and regulations protecting you as an individual. Please also download all documents that you receive during the process of entering Norway and UiT to the same account. In this way, UDI may have access to the documents, as well as the embassy or the police if there are questions when you cross the border.

Please note that your permit and right to a Norwegian ID will be confirmed at your appointment with the police once having arrived to your destinated place of work and accommodation.You will also need to go through this process when renewing your permit. We advise you to make an appointment with the police in advance, as soon as you know the date of your arrival, and if required after having finished your quarantine.

Please inform the heads of your host department as soon as you have received your Norwegian ID or D number. This information is essential for UiT in order to register your employment and salary in our systems.

As for relocation expenses, according to national legislation it is up to the entity employing you to decide whether your relocation expenses will be reimbursed or not. In general, employees for tenure positions like PhD are not offered this service. Some are asked/allowed to utilize money from their annum to cover these expenses. Please confer with the heads of your department, or research group. You can deduct the relocation expenses on your tax report.

For information about Norway, you may visit EURAXESS Norway. Under “Information and assistance” you will find information about living and working in Norway, and about the digital language course developed at NTNU NoW Guide - NTNU Many are also amused by reading the blog A Frog in the Fjord – A Blog on love, winter, food, and mainly about Norwegian people

The Norwegian Directorate of Norwegian Immigration (UDI) provides information about all the procedures you need to take to obtain a residence permit to work in Norway. The rules vary depending on your citizenship. For all applications, please be accurate when registering your address and enter H0x0x as the title number. UiT’s organisation number is 970422528.

At Rules upon entry into Norway you find the most recent and accurate information about what you need to document to enter Norway.

Citizens of Nordic countries do not need to register with the police and may reside in Norway for six months. However, you need a Norwegian ID or D number to work at UiT. Please register in the UDI web, go to the local tax office to apply for a Norwegian ID, tax deduction card and report your postal address in Norway.

* EU/EEA citizens:

Please register at the UDI-portal  and book an appointment with the police in the internet portal. Please note that the police will not give you an appointment by phone before you have completed your quarantine period. You need to register at the police station within 3 months of arrival in Norway. You may start to work, before you have obtained a Norwegian ID at the Tax office but you may not open a Norwegian bank account or get a tax deduction card. When you receive your ID, please notify UiT and then apply for a tax deduction card at the same tax office. This also regards family members of an EU/EEA national.

* For non-EU/EEA citizens:

When starting the application process, you are given two options for submission of the documents: by you or your employer. If you choose to do it yourself, you will be directed to the nearest Norwegian embassy in charge of consular cases, which will in turn probably direct you to a VFS Global office. The procedure is that you deliver the documents to the VFS office, which sends them to the Norwegian embassy, which in turn sends them to UDI in Norway. For applicants from countries which require visas, UDI will send a message to the nearest embassy advising them to  issue you an entry visa.

The Power of attorney form entitles a person at UiT to enter your application. This will generally be the Head of Administration at your host department.

There are two options for verification of the documents when in Norway: at the police district which covers the municipality that you state that you will live in, or a Service Centre for Foreign workers (SUA). For appointments with the police, choose the police office closest to the campus you will be working at. Please click if you chose booking at SUA Guidelines for presentation of documentation (partly in Norwegian) from UDI UDI 2021-005 (

The documents Cover letter and Power of Attorney are automatically attached to the receipt e-mail when you have paid the fee. For security reasons, UDI is not allowed to send decision letters to the applicants by e-mail but may send the decisions to the person named in the power of attorney document. The person with attorney is then legally obliged to forward the decision letter to the applicant.

The processing time at UDI may take some weeks. However, skilled workers are prioritized. 

When you receive the decision from UDI, please send a copy to UiT, and the process involving the employment contract should then be organized for you. When you know the date of arrival to Tromsø, please book an appointment with the police in Tromsø to verify your identity to obtain a residence card and obtain a Norwegian ID. You do not have to travel to SUA Oslo for an ID check to obtain a residence card and verify your original documents. Please send an e-mail to and ask for an appointment at the police station. You will not be able to book an appointment at the police station in Tromsø via the UDI application portal because your application is connected to SUA Oslo.

In the e-mail, please write your DUF number, the date you will arrive and the date you will complete the mandatory quarantine period.

The foreign department at the police station in Tromsø will then arrange an appointment for you at the police station nearest to the campus where you will be working. Following your appointment, the next step is to go to the tax office to obtain your tax deduction card.

What is SUA?

What is the waiting time Police and SUA offices? - After the appointment with the police, there are another maximum 3 weeks' waiting to receive the Norwegian ID after the appointment with the police for citizens from outside EU/EEA, and up to 8 weeks' waiting for citizens from the EU/EEA area.

D-number versus Norwegian ID

If you will stay in Norway for less than six months or have applied for protection (asylum) in Norway, you will be given a D-number, which is a temporary ID number. Everyone who is born in Norway or lives permanently or for a longer period than six months in Norway should have a national identity number. This is an identification number of 11 digits, comprising the date of birth and a personal number. The DUF number is not the same as the D-number. The DUF number is your registration number at UDI.

You use your Norwegian ID number, or D number if applicable, and your passport to identify yourself to public authorities and services, and to open a Norwegian bank account.

Please inform the heads of the department you are working at as soon as you have received your Norwegian ID or D number. This information is essential for UiT to be able to register your employment and salary in our systems.

During your appointment, the police will inform you that you may be called in for a test for tuberculosis. The police will ask for your permission to use your e-mail address, so they can pass it on to the health authorities. The health authorities then will contact you by e-mail. The alternative is that they will send you a letter by ordinary mail.




Information about Housing- at UiT and in the private market

You may apply for renting a flat at Housing via UiT. Due to that UiT has few flats to offer, please start your search for housing also at the private market as soon as your plan for a research stay at UIT is confirmed. Please note that monthly rental equal to the price at the private market also is charged for UiT housing. 

You should be aware of that rental prices are relatively high. Please click the link below to estimate Costs of living in Troms 

The following links for Rental/buying/announcements for housing may be in Norwegian. If you don’t know Norwegian, you could either try using translation tools or ask for help at the unit you will work at. Choose "Eiendom", and then "Bolig til leie" (Houses for rent) Choose "Finn bolig" (find a place to live) In English

New in Norway has more information and tips regarding accommodation. 

Please confer with the department where you will be working for about the regulations for reimbursement of travel expenses and shipment of belongings. Here you find some tips when planning to move your belongings (

Housing loan

In general, anyone buying a home needs to negotiate offers at different banks. Being a member of a trade union means you can take advantage of the interest rate negotiated for members, which is generally lower than the rate offered to the public. Moreover, as an employee at UiT, you may apply for a housing loan from The Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (SPK)

Compensation of relocation expenses

The compensation of your expenses when moving to Norway is up to the receiving unit, i.e. the project or department employing you Legislation in Norwegian
UiT - HR-Portal (you must be logged onto the UiT Intranet to access this)

When researchers arrive together with their spouse, partner, and family, there may be an interest in that the other person also may find who a job, or gain admission to higher education. UiT has not yet developed a regular service for Dual Career, but, in the following you will find some information. And, if you need help, please write to

Bringing your partner or family

When researchers arrive together with their spouse, partner and family, it may be of interest that the other person also find a job or gain admission to higher education. We experience that it may be economically difficult if several are to live on one income. UiT has not yet developed a regular service for Dual Career but you will find some information on this page. If you need help, please write to

Bringing your partner, Dual Career

In general, you will find that the level of speaking/understanding English in the population is rather high, which makes it possible to integrate socially. On the other hand, if your partner wants to work, you will find that in most jobs there is a requirement to speak Norwegian. As living costs are high in Norway, your financial situation will be better if you look into how your partner may also gain an income during your stay.

The courses in Norwegian language at UiT are for staff and students from abroad, but the courses at Folkeuniversitetet, are open to everyone. Another option is courses at the internet, e.g Norwegian on the Web 

You may start looking for jobs at EURAXESS Norway, Work in Norway - NAV , or in Norwegian at - mulighetenes marked 

There are free courses online about applying for work in Norway for foreigners.

Bringing your family

Some also bring their children, or plan to have a child while in Norway. 

How to apply for a a child to obtain care in a kindergarten in Tromsø:

You apply at at

In the form you are asked for a Norwegian ID. If you do not have one, you may write to, applying for a fictitious ID, explaining that you need it to be able to apply for a child to obtain care in a kindergarten without having a Norwegian ID.

In the mail you write the name, gender and date of birth of the child, and the name and date of birth of the mother.

You will then receive a fictitious ID which can be used in the form at

Rights to parental benefits in Norway

Other links about health care related to family in Norway:

Membership of the National Insurance Scheme

Healthcare rights for children and adolescents in Norway

Who pays your dental bill?

Other information about NAV’s services and benefits. 

UiT - HR Portal (you must be logged on to the UiT Intranet to access this)

Schools and kindergartens

Other websites for job seekers: 

Job ads: 


In Norway there is a "fastlege"- system, which implies that each person shall be affiliated with a general practitioner. To do this you need to have obtained a Norwegian ID, and furthermore use pin codes from the bank.

Unfortunately there is a long waiting list to be connected to a doctor and a medical center. Wile on the waiting list, you may call the Legevakt (Emergency center), 116117 for further information Out-of-hours medical service - 

At campus Tromsø, Kraft Universitetshelsesenter receives UiT employees who do not have the right to obtain a Norwegian ID. If you have an amployee contract for a longer period than 6 months, you need to refer to the information above.

NORWEGIAN EMERGENCY NUMBERS: In case of emergency, call 113 ( for police 112, and in case of fire 110) 

Tromsø: Contact details for the Out-of-hours medical service in Tromsø: 116 117, Sykehusveien 30. For medical emergencies and life-threatening illnesses, call 113. 

Harstad: Contact details for the Out-of-hours medical service in Harstad: 116 117, St. Olavs gate 70, 9406 Harstad. For medical emergencies and life-threatening illnesses, call 113.

Alta: Contact details for the Out-of-hours medical service in Alta: 116 117, Dr. Kvammes vei 21, 9510 Alta. For medical emergencies and life-threatening illnesses, call 113.

Narvik: Contact details for the Out-of-hours medical service in Narvik": 116 117, Sykehusveien 1, 8516 Narvik. For medical emergencies and life-threatening illnesses, call 113.

There are several pharmacies in all Norwegian towns and cities, including at the shopping centres.

UiT organizes a welcome meeting three times a year for newly employed scholars and staff from abroad.

Further practical information is given at the department where you work. Some central links to registering are provided below.

Each semester UiT arranges seminars about Norwegian work culture. This topic is also treated in gatherings organized by the trade unions.

All citizens apply for a tax deduction card at the tax office Tax Administration (Skatteetaten). Citizens from the EU/EEA area and the Nordic countries apply for their Norwegian ID there as well, while the police processes the allowance for a Norwegian ID for citizens from outside the EU/EEA area.

  • Book an appointment for your visit at the Tax Administration online (drop-in is not possible during Covid 19-regulations). Your national identity number or D number will appear on your tax deduction card.
  • At the post office you fill in the form  “Permanent change of address for private individuals” to register your postal address.
  • To open a bank account you need a Norwegian ID-number and an address in Norway. Some banks also accept a D-number. Please see more information below.
  • The department you work at decides whether your travel expenses before commencing your post may be covered. Link to information and application form

Please inform the heads of the department you are working at as soon as you have received your Norwegian ID or D number. This information is essential for UiT to be able to register your employment and salary in our systems

Tax deduction card.

If you receive wages from a Norwegian employer, you are obliged to pay tax on your earnings in Norway. Norwegian employers are required to have a tax deduction card for each employee in order to subtract tax. You are responsible for procuring your own tax deduction card. If you have not obtained one, your employer is required to withhold 50 per cent of your wages, of which the correct amount will be reimbursed to you once you obtain your tax deduction card.

To obtain a tax deduction card, book appointments online and visit a Norwegian Tax Administration Office; in Tromsø: at Hjalmar Johansens gate 21, in Alta: at Markveien 38b, in Narvik: at Kongensgate 14/16 and 52.

Bring the following:

1. Valid identification

2. Employment contract or written confirmation of work assignment in Norway

3. Submit an application for a tax deduction card using form RF-1209

4. If you come from a country outside the EU/EEA area, you must also provide documentation stating that you have the right to work and reside in Norway

If you have obtained a Norwegian ID-number, your tax deduction card will be automatically renewed every year. If you have a D number, you need to apply for a renewed tax deduction card every year. This should be done in December, so that the tax deduction card is processed in time for the next calendar year. If the D number is registered in the system, there is no need to apply in person. You can send the form RF-1209 as ordinary post.

General information from the Norwegian Tax Administration.

Postal address

At inernet or at the post office, ask for the form “Permanent change of address for private individuals” to register your postal address. It’s important to check that you have a letter box with your name is clearly stated. 

Opening a bank account 

To open a bank account, you need a Norwegian ID number and an address in Norway. Some banks also accept a D number. You will usually need to apply for an ID number or D number at the Norwegian Tax Administration. 
You will have to show up in person to sign the agreement for an account. Bring your passport, a passport photo and your Norwegian ID or D number. For some countries, additional documentation may be required.

How to obtain an electronic ID

Useful links:

Norwegian Tax Administration 
Tax Norway 
Work in Norway
General tax concentions between Norway and other states
Nordisk eTax - Nordic taxation portal, especially relevant to Citizens of the Nordic countries.
The Police

Reimbursement of travel expenses

The regulations for the reimbursement of travel expenses both at the national level and at UiT state that it is up to the individual budget unit whether the expenses are to be covered or not. This means that the department you will work at has to see whether it is room in their budget to cover the expenses.

A basic argument for assessment is whether the employee is to occupy a temporary position or is going into a permanent position. By this, employees entering PhD or postdoc positions which are limited in time may experience that their travel expenses are not covered.

Norwegian health policy aims to ensure that everyone, irrespective of their personal finances and where they live, has access to good health and care services of equal standard.
Health care services are financed by the government, through the the National Insurance Scheme (please click to see Services and Benefits). Membership in the National Insurance Scheme is the key to eligibility for the rights to services from NAV.

UiTs Contactpersons in NAV (intranet address- you need to be logged in at to read the information).

In Norway, your membership can be based on residence or employment. You can also be a member of the National Insurance Scheme during stays abroad.

Please click for written information regarding Membership and International regulations

By a specified agreement, UiT offers advisory contacts with whom you may communicate by mail or telephone at NAV, the public entity which administers a third of the Norwegian national budget through schemes such as unemployment benefit, work assessment allowance, sickness benefit, pensions, child benefit and cash-for-care benefit.

Dental services

In Norway, children under the age of 18 are entitled to free dental care from the public dental service. Young people between the ages of 19 and 20 are entitled to have 75 per cent of their dental care covered. Adults over the age of 20 must generally pay for their own dental care. Pursuant to the National Insurance Act, people with certain diseases and conditions may be entitled to subsidized dental care even after the age of 20.
More information is found at 

Tuberculosis test

A tuberculosis examination is mandatory for some groups of immigrants to Norway.
Norwegian law requires that all foreign nationals from countries with a high occurrence of tuberculosis who will be residing in Norway more than three months must be tested within four weeks after arrival.
Information about Routine Screening for tuberculosis


New in Norway
Helfo - The Norwegian Health Economics Administration
The Norwegian Directorate of eHealth

The Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund

All employees in more than 20 % position at UiT are members of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (Statens Pensjonskasse). The membership comprises rights to retirement pension and insurance (accidents, injuries and disability). Group life insurance is included in the salary conditions for employees who are covered by the Government's collective wages agreement. 

The Norwegian Labor and Welfare Administration (NAV)

NAV covers expenses for medical assistance, provides old-age pension benefits and other pension-related services as well as parental, sickness and unemployment benefits, among others. Everyone residing in Norway permanently or intending to stay for at least 12 months is considered a resident under the National Insurance Act and is therefore entitled to health care coverage under the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. To be eligible for certain benefits, such as unemployment or parental benefits, you must have worked a specific amount of time in Norway.
Please note that resident status under the National Insurance Act is not necessarily identical to resident status as stipulated in the Taxation Act and that you may not be fully covered under the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme even if you do pay tax in Norway.
There are also contractual schemes providing some kinds of coverage for employees working for a Norwegian employer. Researchers employed at universities, university colleges and a number of independent research institutes are encompassed by the Basic Collective Agreement (Hovedtariffavtalen i Staten), which includes Group life and Occupational injury Insurance as well as travel Insurance. The state does not ensure its risk through agreements with private insurance companies, but is itself the insurer for its employees. Most Norwegians take out private insurance to cover their homes, possessions, children, pets, and their own health.

Private Insurance

Your need for private insurance and various types of coverage will depend on your social security and insurance entitlements in Norway or in your home country. Among other options, by being member of a trade union, which is highly recommended in Norway, you will be entitled to several insurance offers.

You can find an overview of the different types of insurance you may consider at  New in Norway

You can find information about your working relationship with UiT The Arctic University of Norway in the Employee Handbook and the HSE Manual. This is found in our HR Portal (you must be logged on to the UiT Intranet to access this).

We use the payroll and personnel system SAP, which is supplied by the Directorate for Administration and Financial Management (DFØ).

Employees must use the self-service portal provided in the UiT intranet or the DFØ app to register working hours, travel, absence, reimbursement claims etc.

Temporary Guest status

Upon arrival, you need to register by contacting the Head of Administration at the department you are visiting. The receiving department is responsible for you during your visit and will consider the basis for granting you a temporary University ID, key card and access to other resources at UiT.

Orakelet - the IT helpdesk at UiT

Orakelet IT helpdesk is the IT support at UiT. You can contact the helpdesk by e-mail:, phone: +47 77 64 45 44, in person in Tromsø on the first floor of House 2 (next to the MIX kiosk), or online at


You will find information about where to park and how to pay  here.

TODOS- Tromsø Doctoral Students and Post.Doc.s

If you are a PhD student or Post.Doc. at UiT, you may be a member at the doctoral student organization TODOS, Doctoral students and at UiT.

TODOS arranges both academic and social events during the year. You will find information about TODOS on their homepage and on Facebook.  

Entering a new work environment requires understanding many practical as well as cultural aspects.

For foreign employees there are seminars about Norwegian work culture twice a year, at which also Norwegian employees receiving people from abroad may attend.

Examples of such seminars are described at

These are aspects of the very good working conditions we want to offer you at UIT The Arctic University of Norway: 

  • An internationally recognized research environment
  • An international research environment with an active visitor program
  • Transferable skills training and individual career development
  • Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement
  • Family-friendly policies and surroundings
  • For equality, diversity and inclusion, please visit  Action plan for equality, diversity and inclusion 2020 -2022 (pdf-document)

The public sector in Norway pays for extensive services in the interests of the population, including a public health system under which everyone is entitled to treatment, has a right to education and help in several other areas. The taxes that we pay are spent on public services such as healthcare, hospitals, education and transport and communications, in addition to covering general public expenditure, taxes are designed to contribute to greater equality between individuals.

Information about how you apply for a tax deduction card is found under the heading “Newly arrived”.

Tax return

When you receive your tax return, it is very important that you check that everything is correct. You find guidance here.
The deadline for submitting tax returns is April 30.

When the Tax Administration has processed your tax return, you will learn exactly how much you must pay, or get back (Tax settlement).

You find more information at The Norwegian Tax Administration.

Useful links:

Altinn – the Norwegian public reporting portal
The Norwegian Tax Administration

UiT Campus Tromsø offers a variety of courses in the Norwegian language and literature on basic, intermediate and advanced level. Please be aware of the deadlines in August and January. - Furthermore

Research and Educational leave

UiT The Arctic University of Norway aims to increase knowledge production in all subject areas. To obtain this goal, the university will facilitate that all academic staff have good conditions for research and development.

The offer of Research and Educational leave is a strategic measure that will contribute to that UiT achieves this goal. Providing they meet certain criteria, all employees in permanent academic positions are entitled to one year of Research and Educational leave after four years' service, or 6 months after two years’ service.

Employees send an application for Research and Educational leave to the department they are affiliated to on a set form. The department assesses the application and forwards it to the faculty with a recommendation, or in relevant cases to the Arctic University Museum of Norway or the University Library. The application deadline is decided by the individual faculty, or the Arctic University Museum of Norway/University Library.

Please make sure that NAV is notified when you go abroad. Link to NAV's information about Staying abroad.

Research Funding

Some regulations of the working conditions in Norway:

The Working Environment Act ("Arbeidsmiljøloven")
Act relating to working environment, working hours and employment protection, etc. - Including regulation of working hours- Ch.10, Sect. 10-4: "Normal working hours must not exceed nine hours per 24 hours and 40 hours per seven days." General working hours in the public sector are 37,5 hours per week, cf. the Main tariff agreement (HTA) § 7At UiT, the working hours in the administration are 15 May to 14 September: 08:00 - 15:00, 15 September to 14 May: 08:00 - 15:45 Main doors may be locked outside working hours. Please remember your entrance card.
The Act relating to Holidays
 ("Ferieloven")-  From Ch. II Sect. 5 i and ii: "Employees have 25 work days' leave in connection with holidays each holiday year." "Employees who reach the age of 60 during a holiday year shall be given 6 work days' extra holiday." Guide to the Working Environment Act and the Holidays Act (pdf), issued by the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority

Equality and Anti-Discrimination Act ("Likestillings- og diskrimineringsloven", last update 16.01.2020)
Act relating to equality and a prohibition against discrimination.

Basic Agreement for the Civil Service 2006-2008 "Hovedavtalen i staten 2021 in Norwegian
The newer agreements have not been translated into English.

Basic Collective Agreement for the Civil Service 2006-2008 / Hovedtariffavtalen i staten 2020-2022 in Norwegian. The newer agreements have not been translated into English. 

Information about trade unions in Norway and at UiT:

In Norway it is highly encouraged to be a member of a trade union. Statistics show that there is a discrepancy in the percentage of foreigners who are organized in comparison with Norwegian citizens, and we urge you to join a union. 

A trade union is an association of employees in one or several enterprises generally working within the same field, and exists to look after the interests of its members. Within Norway, a trade union’s most important role is to fight for better pay and working conditions for its members.Read more at Fafo 2013:09 Labour relations in Norway 

As a member of a trade union in Norway, you pay an annual tax-deductible membership fee, which may be a percentage of your gross pay or a fixed amount due every month, quarter, or year. The union also negotiates with banks and insurance companies, and may offer you lower interest rents on loans, and insurance with lower annual fee than those who are not organized.

The trade unions are organized four main employee confederations in Norway, in alphabetic order: The Federation of Norwegian Professional Associations Akademikerne at UiT and Akademikerne in general, the Confederation of Norwegian Trade Unions   LOin which you find NTL at UiT, the Confederation of Vocational Unions Parat, and the Confederation of Unions for Professionals UNIO, in which you find Forskerforbundet at UiT.

Common Words and Terms in Collective Wage Agreement Negotiations and Mediations (pdf)(from Riksmekleren / the National Mediator)

Pensions and other financial benefits as an employee at UiT has a basis in your membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. In Norway, your membership can be based on residence or employment. You can also be a member of the National Insurance Scheme during stays abroad. 
The membership in the National Insurance Scheme is the key to eligibility for rights to services from NAV.
Additionally, all public employees in a more than 20 % position at UiT are members of the The Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund  (SPK). SPK is Norway's main provider of public occupational pensions
As an employee in Norway, you pay 7.8 per cent of your gross income to the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. Another 2% of your gross income is paid to The Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund. The contributions are deducted together with your taxation. Your public employer also pays another 3%.This money contributes to your individual pension and other financial benefits. 
As for your public pension, what you will be paid is a sum of the accumulated payments to the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme and to the The Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund. Some also chose an extra private saving option.
As for health service benefits, you have the right fully paid sick leave (please click for conditions), to medical treatment , psychologist or expenditure on medicines of major importance in long-term use (you pay a small share) (Health Services New in Norway). 
Please see links for further information at UiT's HR Portal  (requires access to the UiT Intranet) and New in Norway

The Norwegian regulation of basic work hours which also is kept at UiT are from 8 o' clock to 15:45 (15/9-14/5) or to 15:00 (15/5-14/9). This concentration of work hours opens up for spending time with family and friends in the evenings. For foreignerns, this also opens up for giving time to socialize and practice Norwegian.

  • Search at Facebook for the activity you are interested in situated where you live, or visit the website for building and finding local communities/activities MeetUp

In the following you wil find some examples from the variety of leisure time activities offered in Tromsø, Alta, Harstad and Narvik:

Sport activities:


Norwegian Culture- literature, blogs. humor

Tourist information websites:

What's happening in Tromsø 

When you leave UiT to go to stay in another country for good, you need to notify the Norwegian entities you registered at when commencing your stay.

All residents of Norway are also obliged to notify these Norwegian entities if they are to stay abroad more than 6 months. Please mark that this may cause problems for your Norwegian residence permit. Take care of the regulations, you may need to apply to maintain your residence permit before leaving Norway.

You must notify the Norwegian Tax Administration if you are moving to a non-Nordic country. Follow the instructions and submit the form to the tax administration (

This notification should be made at the earliest 14 days before leaving Norway.

For those who have been able to access the IT resources at UiT by System-X, please ask for the closure of your account.

You must close down or check with the bank if you can keep your Norwegian bank account. 

You must notify the postal services of your new address ( This will ensure that your mail is forwarded to your new address the first two months after your move.

Your final Norwegian tax assessment will be in April the year after you received your final wage from UiO. To be able to access it and communicate with the tax administration it is recommended that you retain your secured electronical ID for the Norwegian public services portal ( for the first year after leaving the country. Make sure that the correct bank account is registered with the Norwegian Tax Administration. 

Collaborating partners and guest visits to UiT

UiT welcomes partners, guests or others who want to become better acquainted with the institution, study programs and academic environment!

Some partners visit UiT with well-defined tasks, take part in UiT research and education, and have a clear need for access to UiT's resources.

Other visitors may want to clarify their rights and obligations, and UiT's responsibility in relation to them.

In the following we clarify the rights to access to academic resources, and who you may contact to obtain them.

Basically, a guest not registered at UiT is a person for whom UiT as an institution is not responsible. This means initially that a guest may not claim the right to access to basic IT services (login to computers, e-mail, storage of data, printing, etc.), access to buildings and laboratories. However, the faculty- and department receiving the guest may approve and allocate rights by that the receiving department has the hosting function.

The person(s) who invite guests are responsible for the arrangements of academic activities such as meetings, lectures, tutoring and other professional contact activities. This includes facilitation during the visit and follow-up after the end of stay.

The head of the department handles the administrative hosting, in collaboration with the inviting research unit where necessary.

The main administrative tasks will be clarification of:

  • Right to UiT resources, including office use and possible coverages
  • Accesses: access to buildings, IT services, research data, use of infrastructure, etc.
  • Responsibilities in the workplace, HR and insurance
  • IPR and conditions regarding research results
  • Any agreements related to the guest stay

The guest is responsible for matters outside the work situation, like accommodation.

As for experiencing the surroundings, a good start is to look at Visit Norway Arctic Experiences in Northern Norway.