STV-1006 Arctic Norway - Aspects of Politics, Government and International Relations - 10 ECTS
Nordic applicants: Generell studiekompetanse
International applicants: Higher Education Entrance Qualification and certified language requirements in English.
A list of the requirements for the Higher Education Entrance Qualification in Norway can be found on the web site from the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT). For language requirements we refer to NOKUT's GSU-list.
Application code: 9199 (Nordic applicants).
Course contentThis course begins with an introduction to the Norwegian political system and its institutions. A central issue vis-a-vis North Norway is management and protection of the region`s rich natural resources. With this as the point of departure, the course proceeds to focus on how institutions manage and conserve natural resources and the environment. These efforts are examined in the context of relevant international treaties and how international environmental policy cooperation has developed at a regional level. Empirical material is studied in the theoretical perspective afforded by the political-science sub-discipline of international politics.
Objectives of the course
Students who have successfully completed the course should have achieved the following learning outcomes:
Knowledge and comprehension
- The Norwegian political system, with emphasis on northern Norway
- Resource- and environmental management in northern Norway
- International relations and cooperation in the northern region.
- Can give an account of central features of the Norwegian political system, and of resource- and environmental management in northern Norway, including regional cooperation in this area
- Is acquainted with the most important sources of information regarding northern Norwegian and regional affairs and able to apply these sources
- Can analyse academic literature and draw independent conclusions.
- Can communicate scholarly knowledge of northern Norwegian affairs and regional cooperation well enough to be capable of discussing central issues in a scholarly context
- Have sufficient grasp of basic knowledge in this field, and how to access further sources, to be in a position to deepen his or her understanding though self-directed study.
Information to incoming exchange students
This course is available for inbound exchange students.
There are no academic prerequisites to add this module in your Learning Agreement
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
Recommended reading/syllabusPensumliste for STV-1006 Arctic Norway - Aspects of Politics, Government and International Relations- H23
|School exam||02.11.2023 09:00||6 Hours||A–E, fail F|
Work requirementTo take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Written assignment||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: STV-1006
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for samfunnsvitenskap
- Spørsmål om emnet
- E-post: firstname.lastname@example.org