Jan Jakub Solski
My Ph.D. research was funded by the Research Council of Norway under the project: "Arctic Shipping Through Challenging Waters".
In April 2019 I defended a Ph.D. thesis on "Russian Coastal State Jurisdiction over Commercial Vessels Navigating the Northern Sea Route"
My current postdoctoral research has been funded by another grant from the Research Council of Norway for the project: "Regulating shipping in Russian Arctic Waters: Between international law, national interests and geopolitics - SIRAW".
The project addresses the dynamics of the interrelationship of institutions, processes, and interests with the purpose to study the implication for the future architecture of the governance of Arctic shipping. The project studies the nexus among the changes in the physical environment resulting from climate change; Russia’s security concerns reinvigorated by the growing internationalization of Arctic affairs; the international political and legal processes launched to develop international rules and standards for Arctic shipping; as well as the broader geopolitical and strategic interests of states (particularly Russia and China) and commercial actors.
My postdoctoral research will be conducted under the following lines of investigation:
1. Development of Russia’s Arctic shipping regulations: status and trends in the Russian regulation of shipping in its Arctic maritime zones.
2. Russia and emerging users of NSR: law and practice of emerging users of the NSR in Russian Arctic waters.
3. Russian influence on international legal and political processes.
- Gaunce, Julia Martha; Solski, Jan Jakub; Parlov, Iva; Neves, Maria Madalena das. Anthropocentric Ocean Connectivity: A Pluralistic Legal-Regulatory Model. Arctic Review on Law and Politics 2021; Volum 12. ISSN 1891-6252.s 222 - 237.s doi: 10.23865/ARCTIC.V12.3293.
- Solski, Jan Jakub. The ‘Due Regard’ of Article 234 of UNCLOS: Lessons From Regulating Innocent Passage in the Territorial Sea. (fulltekst) Ocean Development and International Law 2021. ISSN 0090-8320.s doi: 10.1080/00908320.2021.1991866.
- Solski, Jan Jakub. Northern Sea Route Permit Scheme: Does Article 234 of UNCLOS Allow Prior Authorization?. Ocean Yearbook 2021; Volum 35 (1). ISSN 0191-8575.s 443 - 472.s doi: 10.1163/22116001_03501014.
- Solski, Jan Jakub. Towards a Harmonized Methodology for the Assessment of Risks and Limitations of Ships Operation in the Arctic. 2021 ISBN 978-5-7444-5054-0.s 44 - 48.s doi: https://doi.org/10.24866/7444-5054-0.
- Solski, Jan Jakub. The Genesis of Article 234 of the UNCLOS. (fulltekst) Ocean Development and International Law 2021. ISSN 0090-8320.s doi: 10.1080/00908320.2020.1835026.
- Solski, Jan Jakub. New Russian Legislative Approaches and Navigational Rights within the Northern Sea Route. The Yearbook of Polar Law 2020; Volum 12. ISSN 1876-8814.s doi: 10.1163/22116427_012010015.
- Solski, Jan Jakub. The Northern Sea Route in the 2010s: Development and Implementation of Relevant Law. (fulltekst) Arctic Review on Law and Politics 2020; Volum 11. ISSN 1891-6252.s 383 - 410.s doi: 10.23865/arctic.v11.2374.
- Solski, Jan Jakub. Book review of Emerging Legal Orders in the Arctic: The Role of Non-Arctic Actors Akiho Shibata, Leilei Zou, Nikolas Sellheim and Marzia Scopelliti (eds). Journal of International Maritime Law 2019; Volum 25 (5). ISSN 1478-8586.
- Solski, Jan Jakub. Russia. Brill Academic Publishers 2017; Volum 84 (1) ISBN 9789004339378. ISSN 0924-1922.s 173 - 216.
- Buixadé Farré, Albert; Stephenson, Scott R.; Chen, Linling; Czub, Michael; Dai, Ying; Demchev, Denis; Efimov, Yaroslav; Graczyk, Piotr; Grythe, Henrik; Keil, Kathrin; Kivekäs, Niku; Kumar, Naresh; Liu, Nengye; Matelenok, Igor; Myksvoll, Mari Skuggedal; O'Leary, Derek; Olsen, Julia; Pavithran.A.P., Sachin; Petersen, Edward; Raspotnik, Andreas; Ryzhov, Ivan; Solski, Jan Jakub; Suo, Lingling; Troein, Caroline; Valeeva, Vilena; van Rijckevorsel, Jaap; Wighting, Jonathan. Commercial Arctic shipping through the Northeast Passage: routes, resources, governance, technology, and infrastructure. Polar Geography 2014; Volum 37 (4). ISSN 1088-937X.s 298 - 324.s doi: 10.1080/1088937X.2014.965769.
- Solski, Jan Jakub. New Developments in Russian Regulation of Navigation on the Northern Sea Route. Arctic Review on Law and Politics 2013; Volum 4 (1). ISSN 1891-6252.s 90 - 119.
As a researcher, I am interested in many different aspects of the Law of the Sea. I have devoted most of my research time to study the Arctic and its governance; Russia and its law and practice, especially regarding the regulation of navigation (within and outside the Northern Sea Route).
Teaching, supervision, and censorship at Master of Laws (LL.M.) in the Law of the Sea degree program, Faculty of Law, University of Tromsø - The Arctic University of Norway.
In the past also teaching a course on the Introduction to Russian Law and Arctic legal perspectives.
Medlem i forskningsgruppe
Klikk for større kart