Nordic applicants: 20. April 2022 at 2 p.m.
International applicants: 1 December
How to apply?
Could you see yourself in a management position in tourism? Are you planning to establish an adventure company?
The bachelor’s degree programme in Arctic Adventure Tourism is aimed at people who wants to work with arctic experience production, marketing, management and communication relevant to the adventure tourism industry.
The programme provides students with theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed to design and produce sustainable nature- and culture based experiences. It is constructed to provide competent workers for developing a sustainable tourism industry.
The program’s values are based on respect and concern for nature and culture.
Tourism is one of the largest and fastest growing sectors in the world, thus the demand for proficient workers is increasing continuously. The bachelor's degree programme in Arctic Adventure Tourism is aimed at people who wants to work with arctic experience production, marketing, management and communication relevant to the adventure tourism industry.
The programme provides students with theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed to design and produce sustainable nature- and culture based experiences. It is constructed to provide compentent workers for developing sustainable tourism industry. The program's values are based on respect and concern for nature and culture.
Upon successful completion of the programme, students are expected to possess the following learning outcomes:
- have broad knowledge of tourism theory, relevant research methods and tourism business development
- can explain tourism as an industry system and as a social phenomenon
- have knowledge of the Arctic nature, society and culture, in relation to sustainable adventure tourism
- have knowledge of research and development (R&D) within the field of adventure tourism
- can make use of relevant tools, techniques, and approaches in order to develop, deliver and evaluate tourism experiences
- are able to facilitate and manage tourism activities for different target markets in the Arctic setting
- can apply academic knowledge in order to address practical an theoretical issues in the tourism field
- is able to plan and conduct different projects, individually and as part of a team
- can reflect on and discuss professionalism, ethics and sustainability
- can contribute with academic perspectives and experiences in arenas relevant for tourism development
- is able to professionally communicate important issues through oral and written presentation
Upon completion of Bachelor in Arctic Adventure Tourism, the candidate can seek a career in activity and adventure companies, businesses where host-guest interaction is crucial, destination and marketing companies, the hospitality industry, product and business development, event planning, or establishing one's own business venture.
- Tourist guide
- Tourism business manager
- Product and business innovation
|Term||10 ects||10 ects||10 ects|
|5th semester *||
Practice in Business*
*Practice in business: for the achievement of BA Arctic Adventure Tourism, students can apply for a practice in business (equivalent 10 ECTS) in a relevant tourism business in the 5th semester. Limited number of placements available. For more information, see course description.
Higher Education Entrance Qualification and certified language requirements in English.
Applicants from Norway or other Nordic countries:
- Generell studiekompetanse eller realkompetanse
- Søknadsfristen er 20. april 2022, kl 14.00.
- Adgang kun for 15 studenter hver høst.
Elektronisk søknad sendes via Samordna opptak: https://www.samordnaopptak.no/info/
Applicants from outside Nordic countries:
- The deadline for autumn semester admission applications is December 1st
- Online application: <a href="https://fsweb.no/soknadsweb/login.jsf">Søknadsweb</a>
- Admission only for 15 students each fall
- <a href="https://en.uit.no/admission">You will find more information about international admission here</a>.
The course activities consist of different teaching methods. Lectures will give candidates an overview of the theoretical field and knowledge of the challenges in Arctic adventure tourism. Candidates will analyse, discuss and position their knowledge into relevant contexts. External lectures, field trips and training will lead to practical skills, and help candidates to gain an overall insight of the tourism industry.
Through group work, candidates will be able to discuss subjects for a deeper understanding. In individual tasks, candidates will use theoretical literature and examples from the tourism industry. Candidates will receive supervision and individual guidance in writing essays, group assignments and writtens exams. Candidates are expected to perform independent studies, including curriculum not specified in the scheduled teaching.
Practical tasks and field trips, which take place in a natural environment, are an integrated part of this study. Candidates are required to have necessary equipment, and should expect other expenses related to these field trips.
Students will be evaluated by coursework requirements and examinations. Required attendance and assigments must be approved in order to qualify for examination. For detailed descriptions of requirements, see course description for each course.
Examination methods will vary between courses, and will generally be written home or school exams, and oral exams.
For the achievement of BA Arctic Adventure Tourism, students can apply for a practice semester in relevant tourism business in the 5th semester. Limited number of placements available. For more information, see course description of Arctic Tourism Practice.
With a bachelor's degree in Arctic Adventure Tourism, students can apply for admission to the master programme in Tourism Studies, or master programmes both at UiT or at other national and international institutions.
Candidates may apply for exchange in the fifth semester (30 ECTS). More information can be obtained by contacting the student administration.