GEO-3138 Integrated Geological and Geophysical Interpretation - 10 ECTS
Bachelor's degree in geology, or a similar degree following a programme of study of at least three years, or similar education approved in accordance with the Norwegian Universities Act section 3-4. In addition, specialization in geology worth the equivalent of at least 80 ECTS credits is required. Normally, an average mark of C or better is required at the bachelor's degree level or other program for basis of admission.
Application code: 9371.
Du vil få en reduksjon i antall studiepoeng (som oppgitt under), dersom du avlegger eksamen i dette emnet og har bestått følgende emne(r) fra før av:GEO-8138 Integrated Geological and Geophysical Interpretation 10 stp
GEO-3123 Marine Geophysics 5 stp
GEO-3127 3-D Seismic Interpretation 5 stp
GEO-8127 Threedimensional seismic interpretation 5 stp
GEO-8123 Marine Geophysics 5 stp
- Has advanced practical and theoretical knowledge of seismic and other geophysical methods and 2D/3D seismic interpretation techniques.
- Is familiar with the principles of the integration of seismic and well data and the ability to perform a well-to-seismic tie and depth-conversion.
- Has a thorough understanding of the choice and implementation of seismic attributes for analyzing structure, stratigraphy and hydrocarbon occurrence in 3D seismic data.
- Has a basic understanding of advanced quantitative interpretation techniques such as AVO, inversion, rock physics or 4D (time-lapse) seismic analysis.
- Has the ability to identify main advantages or limitations of certain geophysical data compared to other data.
- Has an overview of the most commonly integrated geophysical and geological methods in research and industry for understanding Earth system interactions.
The student can
- Prepare/condition geophysical data and integrate various data sets in specific geological interpretation contexts
- Perform a stratigraphic and structural interpretation using various geophysical data sets (seismic, bathymetry, well logs) and employ interpretation techniques such as sequence stratigraphy, seismic facies analysis, seismic interpretation of different structural styles or seismic geomorphology.
- Use 3D seismic and other geophysical data to develop, describe and present structural and sedimentological models.
- Recognize and discriminate fluid effects (direct hydrocarbon indicators (DHIs)) on seismic data and describe the nature of petroleum reservoirs and the data used to characterize petroleum reservoirs
- Describe how seismic processing methods can enhance seismic interpretation and recognize acquisition and/or processing artifacts in 3D seismic data while avoiding the most common interpretation pitfalls.
- Understand the capabilities and limitations of the various geophysical data types.
- The capability to carry out an independent and limited interpretation project with guidance.
- Can be thoughtful, engaged, informed and articulate in professional and personal arenas regarding geological and geophysical data interpretation.
- Has the awareness of the importance of geophysical data for developing geological models.
- Has awareness of complex interactions between the geosphere, hydrosphere, biosphere, cryosphere and the atmosphere.
- Has knowledge of current research and new methods in integrated geological and geophysical data interpretation.
- Has the ability to carry out the most important elements of geological/geophysical research projects: compiling relevant literature, interpreting and analyzing data, and communicating results and interpretation ideas effectively in written and oral form to fellow students/scientists.
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements, including prerequisites. Please see the Admission requirements" and the "Prerequisite" sections for more information.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
|School exam||02.06.2023 09:00||1/2||4 Hours||A–E, fail F|
|Assignment||15.05.2023 12:00||1/2||A–E, fail F|
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Oblig||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: GEO-3138
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for geovitenskap
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet