FYS-2009 Introduction to plasma physics - 10 ECTS
Admission requirements are generell studiekompetanse + SIVING.
Local admission, application code 9391 - singular courses in engineering sciences.
The course is also available to exchange students and Fulbright-students.
Course contentThe course provides the basic foundation for more specialized studies in plasma physics and cosmical geophysics. Subjects treated include single particle motions in prescribed electromagnetic fields; kinetic theory and phase space; derivation of fluid equations and discussion of fluid closure; theory of plasma waves, dispersion relations, resonances and cut off phenomena; collisions, resistivity and diffusion in magnetized plasmas; one-fluid description, magnetohydrodynamics, equilibrium and stability.
Objectives of the course
Knowledge - The student can:
- define the plasma state, give examples of different kinds of plasmas and explain the parameters characterizing them
- analyze the motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields
- formulate kinetic and fluid descriptions of plasma and understand the applicability of the appropriate approximations (kinetic theory, magnetohydrodynamics, twofluid model)
- discuss collisions, resistivity and diffusion in both fully and weakly ionized plasmas based on charged particle motions
- explain the properties of the most important wave modes in plasmas, discuss dispersion relations, polarization and motion of the charged particles
- discuss interaction between particles and waves, Landau damping
- give a basic explanation of plasma equilibrium, confinement and stability
Skills - The student can:
- describe and characterize plasma as a fourth state of matter in nature and laboratory
- solve basic problems in plasma dynamics using particle, kinetic and fluid descriptions
- Use standard numerical methods to solve problems in plasma physics
General expertise - The student can:
- recognize applications of plasmas in modern society
- communicate theories, problem descriptions and solutions regarding dynamics of fluids and plasmas
Information to incoming exchange students
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements. Please see the Admission requirements section.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
|School exam||12.12.2022 09:00||4 Hours||A–E, fail F|
Work requirementTo take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Mandatory assignments||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: FYS-2009
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for fysikk og teknologi
Patrick GuioProfessor / Space Physics
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet