FYS-2020 Radiation physics - 10 ECTS
Admission requirements: Generell studiekompetanse eller realkompetanse + SIVING.
Local admission, application code 9391 - enkeltemner i ingeniørfag.
Recommended prerequisites: FYS-1002 Electromagnetism, MAT-1001 Calculus 1
Course contentThe course is an introduction to radiation physics, including basic atomic and nuclear models, interaction of photons and charged particles with matter, radiation dosimetry, biological effects of radiation and radiation protection. The practical part of the course will emphasize medical use of radiation.
Objectives of the course
Knowledge - The student can
- Describe the atomic nuclei and its properties.
- Describe interaction of photon and charged particles with matter.
- Understand radiation interaction processes applied to a macroscopic scale.
- Understand the fundamental theory for dosimetric measurements.
- Describe principles for detection and characterization of radiation.
- Describe basic biological effects of radiation on cellular and macroscopic scale.
- Define basic radiation protection measures.
Skills - The student can
- Calculate probabilities and energy transfer for interactions involving photons and charged particles.
- Use appropriate units of measurement for the attenuation and energy deposition of radiation.
- Perform detection and measurements of radiation.
- Apply theoretical understanding to assess biological effects of radiation.
- Take precautions to ensure safe working conditions in environments where ionizing radiation or radiating sources are used.
General competence - The student can
- Explain the negative and positive potential of radiation in health and healthcare.
- Describe various applications of radiation from a theoretical viewpoint.
- Understand fundamental principles required for continued work and studies with radiation in medical physics.
Information to incoming exchange students
There are no academic prerequisites to add this module in your Learning Agreement.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
|Off campus exam||01.11.2022 14:00||4/10||A–E, fail F|
|School exam||24.11.2022 09:00||6/10||4 Hours||A–E, fail F|
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Participation in the laboratory course||Approved/ Not approved|
|Lab-reports||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: FYS-2020
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for fysikk og teknologi
Pål LøvhaugenStipendiat / Dataanalyse og sensorteknologi
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet