GEO-3107 Field Trip Hard Rock Geology - 5 ECTS
Bachelor's degree in geology, or a similar degree following a program of study of at least three years, or similar education approved in accordance with the Norwegian Universities Act section 3-4. In addition, specialization in geology worth the equivalent of at least 80 ECTS credits is required. Normally, an average mark of C or better is required at the bachelor's degree level or other program for basis of admission.
Application code: 9371.
The course will present geological problems in the field to the student, and will focus on the integration and synthesis of various topics concerning hard rock geology (e.g. field relations of geological units, lithological variations, magmatic, structural and metamorphic evolution, relationships between structural/magmatic/metamorphic evolution, and formation of ore deposits). The key topics depend on the location selected for each excursion and some of them may not be covered in the particular year.
The excursion will be located to areas outside those where the students do their field work for their master theses.
The student has
- understanding of fundamental geological processes responsible for the origin of the visited location.
- understanding of geological evolution of the visited location.
- knowledge of the data that led to the formulation of particular geological model(s).
The student can
- perform a basic synthesis of available geological data for the visited location.
- recognize important differences in evolution of various geological units of the visited location.
- interpret geological processes that caused geological variability of the visited geological units.
- perform an in-situ analysis of the visited geological units (structural analysis, interpretation of metamorphic grade of rocks, mineralogy of various rock-types and ore bodies).
The student can
- critically evaluate existing geological models based on available data.
- discuss possible modification of existing geological models with geologists and fellow students.
- carry out the most important elements of geological research projects: penetrating literature, carrying out field research, analyzing data, and communicating results to fellow students/scientists.
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements, including prerequisites. Please see the Admission requirements" and the "Prerequisite" sections for more information.
Do you have questions about this course? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
|24.10.2022 14:00 (Hand in)
|Passed / Not Passed
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Training in health, safety, and environment
|Approved – not approved
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 5
- Course code: GEO-3107
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for geovitenskap
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet