GEO-3117 Optical mineralogy - 10 ECTS
Bachelor's degree in Geology, or a similar degree following a programme of study of at least three years, or similar education approved in accordance with the Norwegian Universities Act section 3-4. In addition, specialization in geology worth the equivalent of at least 80 ECTS credits is required. Normally, an average mark of C or better is required at the Bachelor's degree level or other program for basis of admission.
Application code: 9371.
The student has
- a comprehensive understanding of polarized transmitted and reflected light microscopy
- knowledge of how to identify the most common rock-forming and ore-forming minerals in thin sections.
- knowledge of how to apply polarizing microscopy in mineralogical, petrographical and ore deposit studies.
The student can
- identify most common rock-forming and oreforming minerals in thin sections
- identify the most common ore minerals in polished sections
- use polarizing microscopy for identification of the most common types of magmatic and metamorphic rocks
- interpret some of the most common textures in magmatic and metamorphic rocks
- interpret some of the most common ore textures
The student can
- report findings and formulate scholarly arguments when delivering oral/poster presentations, reporting scientific findings and presenting data.
- work independently with geological analyses that require polarized light microscopy.
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements, including prerequisites. Please see the Admission requirements" and the "Prerequisite" sections for more information.
Do you have questions about this course? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
|School exam||30.11.2022 09:00
||4 Hours||A–E, fail F|
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Practical application||Approved – not approved|
|Excercise 9||Approved – not approved|
|Excercise 10||Approved – not approved|
|Excercise 1||Approved – not approved|
|Excercise 2||Approved – not approved|
|Excercise 3||Approved – not approved|
|Excercise 4||Approved – not approved|
|Excercise 5||Approved – not approved|
|Excercise 6||Approved – not approved|
|Excercise 7||Approved – not approved|
|Excercise 8||Approved – not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: GEO-3117
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for geovitenskap
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet