GEO-3118 Environmental geology - 5 ECTS
Bachelor's degree in geology, or a similar degree following a programme of study of at least three years duration, or similar education approved in accordance with the Norwegian Universities Act section 3-4. In addition, specialization in geology worth the equivalent of at least 80 ECTS credits is required. Normally, an average mark of C or better is required at the bachelor's degree level or other programme for basis of admission.
Application code: 9371.
The student has
- a comprehensive understanding of basic geological processes and principles involved in environmental geology
- knowledge of the different methods to interpret and predict environmental change.
- knowledge of the potential and limitations of each method and data source.
- knowledge on how to define and evaluate natural versus man-made environmental changes.
The student can
- describe and analyze different types of data from man-made and naturally polluted areas.
- use data and geological knowledge to determine if an area has been affected by natural or anthropogenic impact.
- report environmental geological findings and formulate scholarly arguments when delivering oral/poster presentations, reporting scientific findings, and presenting data.
- write a research essay on a given topic by presenting and justifying own results in the light of published studies.
The student can
- perform the most important elements of scientific research projects: penetrating literature, carrying out field research, analyzing data, and communicating results to fellow students/scientists.
- solve scientific problems analytically and prompt in written English and present research results orally in plenum.
- work independent and in a team to solve problems related to environmental geology.
- critically evaluate and judge the quality of data and conclusions presented in primary databases, research articles and scientific reports.
- critically evaluate and judge the quality of data and conclusions obtained and presented in the group projects
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements, including prerequisites. Please see the Admission requirements" and the "Prerequisite" sections for more information.
Do you have questions about this course? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
|School exam||24.11.2022 09:00||4 Hours||A–E, fail F|
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Exercise 1||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 2||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 3||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 4||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 5||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 5
- Course code: GEO-3118
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for geovitenskap
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet