GEO-3122 Micropalaeontology - 5 ECTS
The student has
- knowledge of the most important microfossil groups, their systematics, biology, and geological history.
- knowledge of the use of microfossils in ecology, evolution, and stratigraphy.
- knowledge of the general use of the microfossils in palaeoclimatic/-oceanographic studies.
- knowledge and understanding of the advantages/disadvantages of use of the various groups of microfossils for palaeoenvironmental reconstructions.
The student can
- prepare samples and identify microfossils.
- handle and process surface samples of living benthic foraminiferal samples from slope, shelf, and fjords in Troms and West Finnmark.
- perform microscopy for counts and identification of living benthic foraminifera.
- use data to make comprehensive ecological interpretation and discussion of living benthic foraminiferal faunas from two different environmental settings.
- conduct marine geological fieldwork with a research vessel (e.g., R/V Helmer Hanssen) to retrieve gravity cores, box-cores, plankton tows, seismic and acoustic data, and use these data for finding good sampling locations.
The student can
- understand the specific use of marine microfossils in stratigraphy, and reconstructions of past changes in the climatic-oceanographic system.
- prepare and initiate a master¿ project in palaeoceanography and palaeoclimate.
- read and write about scientific results in English.
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements, including prerequisites. Please see the Admission requirements" and the "Prerequisite" sections for more information.
Do you have questions about this course? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty:
|Oral exam||20 Minutes||A–E, fail F|
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Participation on cruise||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 6||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 7||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 8||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 9||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 10||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 11||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 12||Approved/ Not approved|
|Safety training||Approved/ Not approved|
|Cruise report||Approved/ Not approved|
|Post cruise lab||Approved/ Not approved|
|All exercises||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 2||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 3||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 4||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 5||Approved/ Not approved|
Admittance to the exam requires approved exercises and field/cruise report. Participation in the cruise is mandatory.
Approval of training in health, safety, and environment prior to the cruise. This follows the UiT routines for cruises and will be provided by the crew onboard the research vessel.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 5
- Course code: GEO-3122
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for geovitenskap
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet