GEO-3128 Marine geohazards - 5 ECTS
Bachelor's degree in geology, or a similar degree following a programme of study of at least three years duration, or similar education approved in accordance with the Norwegian Universities Act section 3-4. In addition, specialization in geology worth the equivalent of at least 80 ECTS credits is required. Normally, an average mark of C or better is required at the bachelor's degree level or other programme for basis of admission.
Application code: 9371.
The student has
- detailed knowledge about the generation, propagation and run-up of tsunamis triggered from submarine slides and subduction zone faults.
- detailed knowledge of the geotechnical parameters important for the stability of submarine slopes.
- understanding of how fluids and fluid migration can affect the submarine surface.
The student can
- calculate the factor of safety for a translational slide on the sea floor.
- calculate the arrival time for a propagating tsunami and the amount of amplification of the run-up in a fjord/inlet.
- evaluate pore pressure measurements.
- use maps, and geological data from borings to evaluate the stability of a submarine slope.
- provide an overview of geo-hazards that can be a danger to the production of offshore oil and gas.
- understand how the source area of a tsunami can influence the wave characteristics of the propagating tsunami.
The student can
- carry out the most important elements of geological research projects related to marine geo-hazards: understanding literature, make observations, analyze data, and communicate results to fellow students/scientists.
- use data and geological knowledge to understand processes.
- work independent and in a team.
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements, including prerequisites. Please see the Admission requirements" and the "Prerequisite" sections for more information.
Do you have questions about this course? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty:
|School exam||27.10.2022 09:00||4 Hours||A–E, fail F|
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Exercise 1||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 2||Approved/ Not approved|
|Exercise 3||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 5
- Course code: GEO-3128
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for geovitenskap
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet