INF-2700 Database Systems - 10 ECTS
If you pass the examination in this course, you will get an reduction in credits (as stated below), if you previously have passed the following courses:D-212 Data base systems 10 stp
DOK-1012 Digital Media and Data Bases 3 stp
DOK-1012 Data Bases 3 stp
DOKGF Documentation studies, undergraduate course 10 stp
Course contentThis course is an in-depth introduction of database systems. It covers theory of data modeling, practice of database application design and implementation, and principles and practice of system-level data management. Data modeling includes different data models in general, and the relational data model in particular. The theory of relational model includes relational algebra and relation schema normalization. The practice of database application includes database schema design and SQL programming. System-level data management includes database performance, data organization on disk, indexing, query processing and optimization, transaction processing, recovery and concurrency control.
Objectives of the course
Knowledge; students should understand
- theory of the relational data model,
- application database design and implementation,
- physical data management and query processing,
- transaction processing, concurrency control and crash recovery.
Skills; students should be able to
- design application databases with entity-relationship modeling and schema normalization,
- implement application databases with SQL,
- implement some system-level elements of database management systems, for example, in-memory and on-disk data processing, query processing and transaction processing.
- Students should be more competent in system-level programming.
- Students should have better understanding in system performance issues in general and database performance issues in particular.
Information to incoming exchange students
This course is available for inbound exchange students.
This course has recommended academic prerequisites. Please see the «Prerequisite» section for more information.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412.
|School exam||06.12.2022 09:00||4 Hours||A–E, fail F|
Work requirementTo take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Written assignments||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: INF-2700
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for informatikk
Øyvind HanssenFørsteamanuensis Informatikk
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet