BNS-1006 Contemporary Issues of the Circumpolar World II: Politics - 10 ECTS
Nordic applicants: Generell studiekompetanse. Admission procedures for foreign applicants, please read: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=351800
Admission code: 9199
In this course students will deal with questions relating to governance and politics in the North, social issues, contemporary topics and global issues.
This course will provide students with an appreciation of the main challenges confronting the peoples and communities of the world's northern regions. It will also deal with governance and international cooperation in this part of the world. The course will be beneficial to those students attempting to better understand the current questions facing the north as well as to those planning to pursue advanced studies about the region.
When completing the course the students will be able to:
- Explain the structure of government in Russia and the Nordic countries.
- Discuss the differences between Russian and the Nordic countries in the context of history.
- Apply analytical approaches to comparative politics.
- Compare differences in political institutions.
- Compare patterns of political participation and communication.
- Reflect critically on political systems and political institutions.
- Think and write analytically about differences between political systems and political institutions.
Bachelor students: Mainly teacher presentations, group work and group discussions, supported by digital learning resources.
Online students: The course is composed of separate modules for online studies. Students are required to submit answers to the individual module questions. Teaching and feedback will be given. Streamed materials will also be available. A guideline for self-study will be provided.
Quality assurance; Before the end of every course, an evaluation of the course will be arranged in collaboration with the teacher and the student.
Online students: Assignments to teacher-supplied questions. The assignments have to be approved by the teacher(s) responsible for the course before students are allowed to sit the final exam.
Bachelor students: 3 written assignments to teacher-supplied questions.The assignments have to be approved by the teacher(s) responsible for the course before students are allowed to sit the final exam. Class attendance is obligatory (at least 75%).
A final written, home exam (3 days). Grading: scale A - F, A - E are passing grades, F is a fail.
Guidelines for retaking examination, see Regulations for examinations at the UiT, Chapter IV for Postponed, re-sit and extraordinary examinations, etc.
- About the course
- Campus: Alta | Online | Annet |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: BNS-1006
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for reiseliv og nordlige studier