FYS-3001 Physics of remote sensing - 10 ECTS
Type of course
The course is available as a singular course. The course is also available to exchange students and Fulbright students.
The course will only be taught if there are sufficiently many students. Please contact the student adviser as soon as possible if you are interested in following the course.
Course contentThe course teaches the physical foundation, concepts, and instrumentation associated with active and passive remote sensing. The course explains the physics related electromagnetic radiation and the interaction between radiation and matter, and explains the basic principles of radiometry, radar measurements, and synthetic aperture radar (SAR) imaging. Various applications of Earth observation data are discussed.
Objectives of the course
Knowledge - The student can
- describe how electromagnetic (EM) radiation is generated
- explain the propagation of EM waves and how they interact with matter through absorption, scattering and emission
- recognize spectral signatures of gases and solid matter
- describe radiation concepts and transfer
- explain basic antenna theory
- describe how a synthetic aperture radar works
Skills - The student can
- interpret multi-spectral remote sensing images
- interpret spectral signatures
- interpret SAR images
- identify artifacts created in the SAR imaging process
General expertise - The student can
- understand the complete chain of processing involved the generation of remote sensing products; physics, the sensor, propagation effects, analysis aspects
Information to incoming exchange students
This course is open for inbound exchange students.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
- Two home-examinations, counting 20% each
- An oral exam, counting 60%
Assessment scale: Letter grades A-F. A is the highest grade and F is failed.
There is no access to a re-sit examination in this course
For further information, see chapter 5 in Regulations for studies and examinations at the UiT The arctic university of Norway.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: FYS-3001
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for fysikk og teknologi
Malin JohanssonFørsteamanuensis / Jordobservasjon
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet