FYS-3003 Space Physics - 10 ECTS
Type of course
The course is available as a singular course. The course is also available to exchange students and Fulbright students.
The course will only be taught if there is a sufficient number of students. Are you interested in following the course, please contact the student advisor as soon as possible.
Objectives of the course
Knowledge - The student can
- explain the structure of the atmosphere from the ground to space
- understand the process of photoionization of atmospheric particles by solar UV and X-rays
- understand the chemical reactions in the upper atmosphere, primarily ions with neutral gas particles and electrons
- understand the diffusion of particles under the effect of gravity
- explain disturbances in the near-Earth space environment
- understand the complementary nature of kinetic and fluid plasma descriptions
- describe Earth¿s space environment in relation to that of other planets
Skills - The student can
- use the principles of discretization and numerical solution to PDE bounded in space and with initial time condition
- apply fluid theory to large scale plasmas
- design, analyze and use computer program to numerically model geophysical systems and processes related to the auroral ionosphere
General expertise - The student can
- discuss the effects on the atmosphere and ionosphere of global warming and atmospheric pollutants
- explain he behavior of the upper atmosphere/ionosphere and the interaction between solar wind and earths magnetosphere in writing intelligible to the scientific lay-person
Information to incoming exchange students
This module is open for exchange students with a bachelor 's degree in physics or similar education.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
Examination: Oral examination counting 100 %.
Assessment scale: Letter grades A-F.
Re-sit examination: There is no access to a re-sit examination in this course.
For more information se chapter 5 in Regulations for studies and examinations at the UiT The arctic university of Norway
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: FYS-3003
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for fysikk og teknologi
Gustavsson, Bjorn JohanProfessor / Romfysikk
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet