GEO-3119 Petroleum Prospecting - 10 ECTS
Bachelor's degree in geology, or a similar degree following a programme of study of at least three years duration, or similar education approved in accordance with the Norwegian Universities Act section 3-4. In addition, specialization in geology worth the equivalent of at least 80 ECTS credits is required. Normally, an average mark of C or better is required at the bachelor's degree level or other programme for basis of admission.
Application code: 9371.
The student has
- knowledge of how to perform a general independent interpretation of conventional logs used in the petroleum industry.
- knowledge of how to carry out standard prospect evaluation, practical use of Petroleum Systems and Play Elements.
- knowledge to identify the main geological and operational risk elements and be aware of pitfalls/HSE.
- knowledge about application and award processes on the Norwegian Shelf.
- knowledge of how to get information from the web page of the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate.
- knowledge about requirements in connection with a drilling operation.
- knowledge of the terminology from the petroleum industry, i.e. prospect evaluation, logging and drilling operations and performance when presenting prospects.
The student can
- perform an independent prospect analysis.
- present petroleum potential and the exploration uncertainties.
- perform a general independent interpretation of conventional logs and seismic data used in the petroleum industry.
- carry out standard prospect evaluations and be able to identify the main geological and operational risks.
- identify major prospect risk elements; geological risk, Operational risk/HSE, and economical risk.
- access data at the homepage of the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate and find information regarding application processes.
The student can
- present results individually in plenum based on results agreed in the group.
- gather necessary information needed for the evaluation of a prospect.
- present an evaluation of a prospect and argue in front of the audience for his/her findings.
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements, including prerequisites. Please see the Admission requirements" and the "Prerequisite" sections for more information.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: GEO-3119
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for geovitenskap
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet