MBI-3015 Human pharmacology and toxicology - 10 ECTS
The course is an elective course for students accepted to the Master´s program in Biomedicine.
The course can be taken as a singular course by students with a Bachelor´s degree in Biomedicine or similar (180 ECTS).
Recommended prerequisites: Basic knowledge at University Bachelor level in pharmacology and toxicology.
The master course in physiology (MBI-3016 Human physiology), is recommended as a supplement to the course.
Application deadline for nordic applicants is 1st of December. Applicationcode: 9371
For admission requirements see the admission requirements for the Master program in biomedicine
Course contentThe course will give the students an introduction into the general principles of pharmaco/toxicodynamics and -kinetics, with a focus on mechanisms of toxicity and drug action, metabolism of drugs and toxic agents, kinetic calculations and risk assessment. Further, the course will provide insight into the action of drugs and toxicants in central target organs and pathological processes (endocrine-, cardiovascular-, nervous- and immune systems, inflammation, infection and cancer) focusing on molecular mechanisms, interactions and outcomes. In addition, the course also contains visits to university and hospital departments, local research centers and companies working with occupational and environmental toxicology and drug development.
Objectives of the course
After the course the student should be able to:
- Explain general principles in pharmacology and toxicology (kinetics, dynamics and risk assessments).
- Explain how drugs and toxic agents affect reproduction, endocrine-, cardiovascular-, nervous- and immune systems, inflammation, infection and cancer focusing on molecular mechanisms, effects, and interactions.
- Search, acquire and critically assess advanced knowledge in pharmacology and toxicology.
- Apply relevant methods to solve pharmaco- and toxicokinetic exercises.
- Apply current concepts and terminology in pharmacology and toxicology through oral presentations, group discussions and written text.
- Describe how the obtained knowledge and skills can be used in a professional setting.
- Describe how the obtained knowledge and skills can contribute to innovation processes in pharmacology and toxicology.
Information to incoming exchange students
This course is open for inbound exchange students.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
Written exam (4 hours). Grade A-F (F-fail).
The following coursework must be completed in order to attend the written exam:
- Approval of hand-in pharmaco/toxicokinetics and -dynamics quiz.
- Participation in 5 out of 5 seminars/cases.
- Approved written report from work-place visit.
A re-sit exam/postponed exam will be arranged early in the following semester, for candidates who failed the exam or who, for valid reasons, were unable to attend.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: MBI-3015
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for medisinsk biologi
Fredrik JørgensenEksamensteamet IHO
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet