FYS-2020 Radiation physics - 10 ECTS
Admission requirements: Generell studiekompetanse eller realkompetanse + SIVING.
Local admission, application code 9391 - enkeltemner i ingeniørfag.
Recommended prerequisites: FYS-1002 Electromagnetism, MAT-1001 Calculus 1
Knowledge - The student can
- Describe the atomic nuclei and its properties.
- Describe interaction of photon and charged particles with matter.
- Understand radiation interaction processes applied to a macroscopic scale.
- Understand the fundamental theory for dosimetric measurements.
- Describe principles for detection and characterization of radiation.
- Describe basic biological effects of radiation on cellular and macroscopic scale.
- Define basic radiation protection measures.
Skills - The student can
- Calculate probabilities and energy transfer for interactions involving photons and charged particles.
- Use appropriate units of measurement for the attenuation and energy deposition of radiation.
- Perform detection and measurements of radiation.
- Apply theoretical understanding to assess biological effects of radiation.
- Take precautions to ensure safe working conditions in environments where ionizing radiation or radiating sources are used.
General competence - The student can
- Explain the negative and positive potential of radiation in health and healthcare.
- Describe various applications of radiation from a theoretical viewpoint.
- Understand fundamental principles required for continued work and studies with radiation in medical physics.
- The course requires participation in the laboratory course, which includes a mandatory safety component.
- Up to 5 mandatory lab-reports
Access to the final examination requires completing/submitting and passing the coursework.
- One home-examination, counting 40%
- A 4 hours written examination, counting 60%
Assessment scale: Letter grades A-F. A is the highest grade and F is failed.
There is no access to re-sit examination in this course.
For further information, see chapter 5 in Regulations for studies and examinations at the UiT The arctic university of Norway.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: FYS-2020
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for fysikk og teknologi