HEL-3060 Epidemiology II - 10 ECTS
Knowledge and understanding:
- explain and discuss commonly used epidemiological concepts and methods
- identify sources of error in epidemiological research and describe how errors can be eliminated / minimalized
- identify and assess ethical challenges in epidemiological research
Skills and competences:
- apply epidemiological concepts and methods
- master methods for preventing /minimalizing errors in epidemiological research
- identify / discuss ethical problems in epidemiological studies
- read and critically interpret results from epidemiological studies
- plan and perform an epidemiological study
- communicate epidemiological findings and problems to other researchers and to the society
- ability to continue learning and professional development
- ability to be critical to own scientific work
There will be three on-campus sessions, each of three days. The course has multiple teaching approaches (lectures, seminars, work-shops and presentations), and active use of the Internet learning management system Canvas is mandatory. Attendance to lectures and seminars is mandatory.
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements, including prerequisites. Please see the Admission requirements" and the "Prerequisite" sections for more information.
Do you have questions about this course? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
Obligatory assignments: The students have to pass two written assignments before they are allowed to take the exam. The assignments are individual exercises, and will be handed out after the first and second gathering. The students will have 2 weeks for working with the assignments, which will be graded as approved or not approved. Assignments to be handed in on Fronter. Extent should be 1,500-2,000 words. Attendance is mandatory. Language of instruction is English.
Exam: There will be an individual home-based written exam. The exam comprises a number of different tasks to be solved and the answer submitted in Canvas. The extent of the written answer could be 6-7 A4-pages (2,200-2,800 words). The assignments and exam can be written in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English. Grading scale: A-E equals passed, F equals failed.
If a student fails the course, an examination re-sit will be organised. Students with valid absence from the exam will be offered a re-scheduled examination. See examination regulations.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: HEL-3060
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for samfunnsmedisin