BED-3025 Intellectual Property Strategies - 10 ECTS
The course gives an overview of intellectual property (IP) rights and their legal foundation, and how IP can be utilized commercially and strategically in a business.
The course is divided into three sections:
The first section gives a general overview of intellectual property rights (IPRs), the rights to employees inventions and the handling of IPR conflicts. The section emphasizes explaining how a management-oriented view differs from that of a judge, lawyer or patent agent.
The second section deals with strategies for choosing IPR protection and with IPR relationships with competitors and partners. Areas included are strategies for patent filing, copyright protection and protection of trademarks and designs. The section also deals with the usage of patent documentation for monitoring of technological, competitive and market developments.
The third section focuses on the commercialization of intellectual property rights.
Objectives of the course
The aim of the course is to provide students with a fundamental understanding of the critical role that intellectual property rights (patents, copyrights, trademark rights etc.) play in the commercialization process. These legal constructions will be understood in the context of the entrepreneur and the strategic manager of corporate activities. The course puts particular emphasis on how companies can use these strategically important assets to achieve a competitive advantage.
Students who have successfully completed the course should have achieved the following learning outcomes:
Knowledge and comprehension:
- Knowledge of how to obtain different types of intellectual properties (IP), such as patents, designs, trademarks and copyrights, and the ownership of such IP
- Knowledge of how to use different IP databases
- Knowledge of how to develop IP strategy for different types of companies
- Knowledge of commercialization of IP
The course should prepare the student to:
- Perform a search for IP in order to identify prior art, competitors and legal obstacles
- Analyze the possibilities to obtain IP based on their own search results
- Discuss IP with inventors, investors and patent/trademark attorneys
- Develop an IP strategy for a company in order to commercialize the IP
The student should independently be able to develop an IP strategy for a company and identify and analyse possible IP in the company. The student should reach a conclusion with respect to the best options for the company in order to achieve a competitive advantage based on the company IP
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: BED-3025
- Responsible unit
- Handelshøgskolen ved UiT
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet