PSY-8012 Regression Analysis - 7 ECTS
To take PhD courses you need at a minimum a masters degree or equivalent, or admission to a Medical Student Research Program.
For information about how to apply for admission, go to:http://uit.no/helsefak/forskning/phd/emner
Recommended prior reading is the compendium "Grunnleggende statistikk" by Dariush Arai (available at Akademisk kvarter, norwegian only). Basic statistical knowledge from prior courses and/or self-study is also sufficient. I also recommend to go through the instructive and fun tutorials at http://tryr.codeschool.com/ which teaches the basics of the R statistical software.
If you pass the examination in this course, you will get an reduction in credits (as stated below), if you previously have passed the following courses:PSY-8005 Regression analyses 3 stp
PSY-8012 Regression analysis 7 stp
HEL-8001 Multivariable Linear Regression Analysis and Analysis of Variance Including Repeated Measures Design 1.5 stp
The course will be applied (relatively non-mathematical), data-analytical and will contain:
- Single, multiple and multi-level regression
- Assumptions of the general linear model
- Outliers and influential points
- Missing data
- Diagostics and reasons for model misfits; discussion of population homogeneity as a basic assumption of statistics
After completion of the course the students will:
- have a broad and relatively deep understanding of regression analysis.
- be able to determine when and under what circumstances regression analysis can usefully be applied and when other techniques may be more beneficial (e.g., analysis of variance, ANOVA)
- be able to critically assess the way research results have been analyzed in scientific publications and to judge whether errors have been made in the application of regression techniques.
- be able to use your knowledge of regression analysis in most statistical areas.
- be able to use regression analysis in most applied settings in the field of psychology.
- be able to run regression analysis in one of the most commonly used statistical software packages (R).
Error rendering component
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 7
- Course code: PSY-8012
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for psykologi
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet