INF-2310 Computer Security - 10 ECTS
Course contentThe course will provide an introduction to the general principles of computer security from an applied viewpoint. Topics include common cyber-attacks, techniques for identifying and defending against vulnerabilities in computers and networks, the fundamental building blocks of secure systems, security principles for commonly used items, and human, social, and economic aspects of computer security. The course will focus on security issues related to software exposed to network communication, particular in modern web applications.
Objectives of the course
Knowledge - The candidate has knowledge of
- general principles, goals, and abstractions for cybersecurity (e.g., confidentiality, availability, integrity, assurance, anonymity, authenticity);
- concepts of risk, threats, vulnerabilities, and attack vectors;
- basic cryptography and cipher types;
- basic authentication and key exchange protocols, including Diffie-Hellman;
- the access control matrix;
- public-key infrastructures, digital signatures, and certificates;
- web authentication protocols; and
Skills - The candidate can
- analyze software artifacts in terms of confidentiality, integrity, and availability;
- use cryptographic tools to send and receive messages over the Internet;
- use digital signatures;
- authenticate remote principals in web servers; and
- identify and avoid common security vulnerabilities.
General competence - The candidate can
- analyze and document computer systems and protocols;
- participate actively in professional discussions (oral or written);
- develop robust and secure software systems; and
- apply security-by-design principles.
Information to incoming exchange students
This course is available for inbound exchange students.
This course has recommended academic prerequisites. Please see the «Prerequisite» section for more information.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
|School exam||02.06.2023 09:00||4 Hours||A–E, fail F|
Work requirementTo take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Written assignments||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: INF-2310
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for informatikk
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet