GEN-8001 Take Control of your PhD Journey: from (P)reflection to Publishing - 2 ECTS
By the end of the course the student has obtained the following:
- Explain correct use of sources in an academic publication and questionable research practices.
- Explain the purpose of literature search for the research process.
- Explain the purpose and advantages of open science, for research and society in general.
- Explain the main sections of a data management plan.
- Cite academic work, including published research data, in line with existing norms and conventions.
- Select and use scientific databases for advanced literature searches.
- Build advanced searches, using operators (AND, OR, NOT) and search history.
- Evaluate and select suitable publication channels for own research.
- Find and use repositories for archiving text (publications/manuscripts) and research data.
- Structure and document research data in line with good academic practice.
- Carry out research with academic integrity.
- Disseminate academic work in line with current publication trends and requirements.
- Communicate with peers and the larger scholarly community about the concept of transparency of science.
- Use the research support services at the University Library.
The course is organized as interactive sessions combining theory, plenary discussions, group activities, and individual practice. Participants are expected to be active prior to and during the sessions. Reading material and other preparatory tasks will be provided in advance.
The course is given during 3 days, as 3-hour-long seminars. The total number of teaching hours with mandatory participation is 12 hours. On day 3, with 6 teachings hours on reference management, participation is optional.
Written examination, 1000-1500 words, with a given assignment text. Purpose: Reflect upon the acquired knowledge and skills and employ them in order to proceed in the PhD research process in an effective way.
The assignment will be handed out electronically after day 2, and must be handed in electronically within 4 weeks.
The examination is evaluated according to the pass/fail grading system. Students who have failed may not register for a re-sit examination.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 2
- Course code: GEN-8001
- Responsible unit
- Fakultet for humaniora, samfunnsvitenskap og lærerutdanning