SVF-8600 Philosophy of science and ethics - 6 ECTS
This course is recommended as part of the compulsory credits in philosophy of science and research ethics within the instruction component of the PhD programmes in natural and social sciences.
PhD students registered to PhD program at UiT: Apply for admission by registering for class in StudentWeb before 15. December
Contact Ingjerd Gauslaa Nilsen (Ingjerd.firstname.lastname@example.org) at the BFE-faculty if you have any questions regarding registration to the course or other queries.
If you pass the examination in this course, you will get an reduction in credits (as stated below), if you previously have passed the following courses:BIO-8603 Philosophy of science and ethics 6 stp
HEL-8010 Research Ethics and Theory of Science 3 stp
SVF-8054 Theory of Science 7 stp
SVF-8038 Research Ethics 3 stp
HEL-8040 Theory of science, research ethics and research design 3 stp
By the end of the course students will be expected to understand:
- the basic issues in the philosophy of science, such as the demarcation problem, the debate among competing accounts of the scientific method, the problem of induction, and the concepts of paradigms and scientific revolutions;
- the role and place of science and technology in a modern society;
- various ethical positions and the main ethical issues relating to science.
By the end of this course students will be expected to have gained the following skills:
- the ability to communicate key philosophical and ethical concepts;
- the ability to engage in contemporary debates about the nature and role of science;
- the ability to see their own research in a wider perspective, and to critically reflect upon the basic assumptions and challenges of their research projects.
The required reading consists of journal articles and book chapters, in total about 350-400 pages. Most of the literature will be made available on Canvas prior to the course start.
All students are advised to read one of the following books before the course starts:
- Samir Okasha (2016): Philosophy of Science: Very Short Introduction. Second Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Mel Thompson (2012): Understand Philosophy of Science. London: Holder Education.
- James Ladyman (2002): Understanding Philosphy of Science. London, New York: Routledge.
- Alex Rosenberg (2012): Philosophy of Science. Third Edition. New York, London: Routledge.
Error rendering component
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 6
- Course code: SVF-8600
- Responsible unit
- Norges fiskerihøgskole
- HOW TO APPLY
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet