HEL-8010 Research Ethics and Theory of Science - 6 ECTS
PhD students and students at the Medical Student Research Program at Uit - The Arctic University of Norway go directly to Studentweb to register for class and exam.Registration deadline 15 December.
External applicants: Application deadline is 1 December. Application code 9303 in Søknadsweb.
It granted admission you have to register for class and exam by February 1st.
PhD students, students at a Student Research Program or holders of a Norwegian master´s degree of five years or 3+ 2 years (or equivalent) may be admitted.
PhD students from other universities must upload a document from their home institution stating that there are registered PhD students. This group of applicants does not have to prove English proficiency and are exempt from semester fee.
Holders of a Master´s degree must upload a Master´s Diploma with Diploma Supplement / English translation of the diploma. Applicants from listed countries must document proficiency in English.
For more information on accepted English proficiency tests and scores, as well as exemptions from the English proficiency tests, please see the following document:
It is recommended that the course be taken at an early stage in the PhD programme.
Recommended prior knowledge: Basic knowledge of scientific theory and ethics E.g. preparatory exam in the history of philosophy and science.
If you do not have a this prior knowledge we recommended this literature before the course starts:
A. Rosenberg. Philosophy of Science: A Contemporary Introduction. Routledge, 2012. ISBN 978-0-415-89177-6. 300 pages.
Medical ethics: a very short introduction Tony Hope Oxford: Oxford University Press ISBN: 9780191516627
Once they have completed the course, students will have acquired basic skills in scientific theory and ethics. The learning outcomes may be described as follows:
- Have a knowledge of the history and development of research ethics
- Have an insight into the legislation and ethical guidelines providing the framework for medical and health research
- Recognise the function of ethical research committees in Norway and case procedures for the approval of medical and health research projects
- Have an insight into problems of misconduct and grey areas and fraud in research ethics
- Have a knowledge of the elementary features of the historic development of scientific philosophy
- Be able to see the importance of scientific theory for critical knowledge development
Students will be able to:
- Apply ethical and scientific theoretical philosophies in their own research project
- Prepare a Regional Committees for Medical and Health Research Ethics (REC) application for a research project and discuss the ethical challenges of the project
- Recognise unfounded assumptions in medical and health research
- Discuss the key problems of modern scientific philosophy
Students will be able to:
- Identify new research ethics problems and provide input to the research ethics debate
- Identify new scientific theoretical problems and provide input to the scientific theoretical debate
- Act with moral integrity and theoretical scientific humility in a research context
- Contribute to constructive analysis of the social consequences of health research
The following requirements must be met in order to be admitted to sit the examination ( work requirements ):
- Documentation of 80 percent attendance at the sessions
- Three approved work tasks: One oral presentation given from the course literature and two written assignments connected to the REC application (preparation of an application and evaluation of an application).
The course is concluded with a written take-home examination in the form of an essay that must be submitted two weeks after the final session. The addressed problem in the essay must be submitted by the deadline specified for approval in Fronter. A template for the essay and example essays are available.
A grade of pass/fail will be awarded to those who take the course.
In the event that an exam is evaluated as not passed, there will be an opportunity to submit a revised exam paper at the beginning of the next semester. Registration deadline for the continuation exam is August 15th for the spring course and January 15th for the autumn course.
Theory of Science
In English: Johansson I. & Lynöe, N. (2008). Medicine & Philosophy: A twenty-first century introduction. Heusenstamm: Ontos verlag. (chapters 1-6, 200 pages) http://books.google.no/books/about/Medicine_Philosophy.html?id=hXPFO84W4g0C&redir_esc=y
Medical ethics: a very short introduction. Tony Hope. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN: 9780191516627 E- bok http://ask.bibsys.no/ask/action/show?pid=100015530&kid=biblio
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 6
- Course code: HEL-8010
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for helse- og omsorgsfag