BIO-2516 Ocean Climate - 10 ECTS
The course is available for students at the study program Biologi, klima og miljø, Miljøledelse og forurensningsbiology and exchange students at a biology study program. Students from other Departments for instance geology and physics are also welcome. The course is available as a singular course.
Students are encouraged to also take BIO-2010 Marine ecology and BIO-2513 Marin biodiversitet (Please note! Norwegian taught course)
Nordic applicants: Admission requirements are generell studiekompetanse + REALFA. Application code: 9336
International applicants: Higher Education Entrance Qualification and certified language requirements in English. A list of the requirements for the Higher Education Entrance Qualification in Norway can be found on the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education website - nokut.no
All applicants: Basic knowledge in physics and mathematics is an advantage.
At the end of the course, the students will be able to:
- explain and use oceanographic terminology
- describe the basic physical and chemical properties of sea water
- demonstrate basic principles of density and wind driven circulation in the ocean
- sketch simple explanations of basic models for ocean circulation, e.g. geostrophic circulation or Ekman transport
- provide an elementary explanation for tidal forcing
- distinguish and classify different types of waves
- discuss the ocean¿s role in the climate system
- use oceanographic literature such as scientific papers to obtain relevant information
- make standard oceanographic observations, and analyse and interpret the results.
3 hour written exam (70% of final grade) and seminar presentation (30% of final grade). Letter grades A-F where A-E are required to pass, F is fail.
In order to sit an examination, the student must complete and gain approval for any coursework requirements.
Coursework requirements: approved cruisereport and laboratory report.
Students who fail the exam will be able to take a re-sit exam. In the re-sit exam the grades from the seminar presentation (ordinary exam) will apply, and there will only be a new written exam.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: BIO-2516
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for arktisk og marin biologi