HEL-8024 Quantitative Research Methods - 3 ECTS
External applicants: Application deadline is December 1st. Application code 9303 in Søknadsweb.
It granted admission to the course you have to register for class and exam in Studentweb by February 1st.
PhD students and students at the Medical Student Research Program at UiT - The Arctic University of Norway go driectly to Studentweb to register for class and exam.
PhD students, masters students at a Medical Student Research Program, or holders of a Norwegian master´s degree of five years or 3+ 2 years (or equivalent) may be admitted. Valid documentation is a statement from your institution that you are a registered PhD student, or master student at a Medical Student Research Program or a Master´s Diploma with Diploma Supplement / English translation of the diploma. PhD students are exempt from semester fee.
For more information regarding PhD courses at the Faculty of Health Sciences go to: http://uit.no/helsefak/forskning/phd/emner
It is recommended that you take this course early in your PhD study and after having taken HEL-8010.
By the end of this course, the candidate has knowledge that enables him/her to:
- organize the basic concepts in statistics, such as central tendency and variance and be able to discuss their theoretical foundations
- be able to judge types of probability distributions
- be able to organize different study designs
- discuss the concept of a confidence interval
- discuss the principle behind a significance test
- discuss the concept of statistical power
skills and competence
By the end of this course, the candidate has skills that enables him/her to:
- conduct a hypothesis test comparing two means (t-test)
- carrying out a correlation/partial correlation analysis and reporting the results according to publication standards, and interpreting the results
- perform simple regression analyses
- report the results of a statistical analysis according to publication standards
The course consists of four full teaching days and combines introductory lectures with exercises/examples for group work or plenary discussions. A high degree of participant involvement and activity is expected.
The topics for the four days will be:
Day 1: Variables and research/study design
Day 2: Descriptive statistics, probability, sampling and distributions
Day 3: Correlations/partial correlations and regression
Day 4: Hypothesis testing and significance testing, t-test
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 3
- Course code: HEL-8024
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for psykologi
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet