SVF-3022 Culture, Conflict and Society - 10 ECTS
The course enables students to critically analyse and evaluate the relevance of contextual cultural and societal issues in efforts at understanding violent conflicts and peace-building. It applies perspectives from anthropology, religious studies and psychology to conflicts, peace and conflict transformation. It represents an attempt to conceptualise violent conflicts and related issues as inter-subjective experiences with cultural and psychological dimensions.
The topics addressed include: Anthropological perspectives on culture and conflict; Anthropology of difference and images of the other; Ethnicity, nationalism and conflict; Psychology, health, war and peace; and symbolic meanings and cosmologies.
Objectives of the course
Students who have successfully completed the course should have the following learning outcomes:
- have an understanding of diverse perspectives from anthropology, religious studies and psychology and how they relate to conflicts, peace and conflict transformation.
- have a conceptual understanding of violent conflicts and related issues as inter-subjective experiences with cultural and psychological dimensions.
- have the ability to explore the cultural and societal issues underlying violent conflicts and peace processes.
- have the ability to determine how different cultural groups conceptualize and respond to violence.
- have the ability to explore the broad issues informing inter-subjective and inter/intra-group experiences in violent conflict situations.
Skills and competences
- capable of relating perspectives from anthropology, psychology, and religious studies to conflicts and peace processes.
- capable of bringing inter-cultural understandings to bear on violent conflicts and peace-building processes.
- capable of taking responsibility for one's own learning by working independently towards the realisation of the course objectives.
Information to incoming exchange students
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements, including prerequisites. Please see the "Admission requirements" and the "Prerequisite" sections for more information.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
|School exam||11.12.2023 09:00||6 Hours||A–E, fail F|
Work requirementTo take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Oral presentation||Approved/ Not approved|
More info about the coursework requirementsTowards the end of the course, the students will be divided into pairs to make oral presentations (max 10 minutes) on a topic related to cultural, religious or psychological issues in their home countries or a chosen country/region vis-à-vis practices in other contexts. These presentations shall draw upon the course readings.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: SVF-3022
- Responsible unit
- Senter for fredsstudier (CPS)
- Spørsmål om emnet
- E-post: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet