PSY-1511 Statistics and method I - 5 ECTS
The course provides an introduction to statistics and research methods relevant to the subject of psychology. This includes descriptive statistics (e.g., central tendency and dispersion) and inferential statistics based on probability distributions, confidence intervals and hypothesis testing, in particular, t-tests and correlation analyzes. The course also encompasses research ethics, with emphasis on principles of conducting sound, transparent and well-designed research, and research dissemination, with emphasis on rules against plagiarism.
The course provides a brief introduction to the use of a statistical software.
The course includes knowledge required to read and evaluate research literature
- Being able to find out about research ethics guidelines and follow these
- Being able to describe basic principles for descriptive statistics and inferential statistics
- Being able to determine when correlation analysis and t-test are suitable for analyzing data
- Describe what scientific plagiarism is
- Describe the principles of informed consent, compliance with guidelines for research ethics, and main criteria for scientific sustainability
- Describe the principle of frequency-based probability distributions
- Describe what confidence intervals represent
- Describe the principles of significance testing
- Describe the concept of statistical power
- Being able to carry out a t-test, and report the results according to the APA standard
- Being able to carry out a correlation analysis and report the results according to the APA standard
Teaching in this course takes place in every Autumn semester. In addition, seminars are organized for smaller groups of students. Seminars also include exercises of data analysis using a statistical software.
Lectures and group work are recommended, but are not compulsory.
All teaching is relevant to the students' development as skilled professionals.
Thus, students are encouraged to participate in all teaching activities that are offered.
|School exam||10.11.2023 09:00
||A–E, fail F|
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Online questionnaire||Approved – not approved|
|Dataset||Approved – not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 5
- Course code: PSY-1511
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for psykologi
- Spørsmål om emnet
- E-post: email@example.com
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet