MFA-8010 Maritime HTO (Human-Technology-Organisation) and Innovation - 10 ECTS
This course offers an overview of the maritime sector’s essential pillars: the Human Element, Technology, Organisation, and Innovation (HTOI). The curriculum delves into the impact of these elements on maritime operations, emphasizing real-world challenges and contemporary technological advancements.
This is a compulsory course for PhD candidates within the PH-NAUT Programme. PhD candidates from other Norwegian or European PhD programmes are also eligible to enroll in it as a stand-alone course.
If fewer than 3 candidates sign up for the course, it will be conducted as individual supervision by the personnel responsible for the course.
The course encompasses the following content:
- The human element in the maritime domain.
- Trends and future challenges for the maritime human individual.
- Relevant latest technological advancements in the maritime sector
- Multifaceted impact of technology on maritime safety
- Organisational structure in the maritime domain.
- Trends and future challenges for maritime organisations.
- Innovation and new business models in the maritime domain.
- Drivers and barriers for radical innovation in the maritime domain.
The course gives state-of-the-art knowledge of the maritime industry, with a particular focus on human, technology, organization and innovation in the maritime domain.
- has advanced knowledge of the HTOI dimension in the maritime domain,
- has advanced knowledge of innovation and new business models in the maritime domain,
- can evaluate the related challenges and opportunities of HTOI in the maritime domain.
The candidate can:
- identify and analyze complex academic issues associated with HTOI in the maritime domain,
- propose, carry out and evaluate maritime research studies at a high international standard,
- critically assess the maritime HTOI issues, identifying their related viability and constraints.
The candidate can:
- identify and understand the limitations and possibilities of maritime HTOI,
- describe and manage the complex relationship within maritime HTOI,
- develop and carry out new research studies in the maritime domain,
- communicate new knowledge of maritime research and development projects.
A detailed description of the learning outcomes and objectives for each module will be provided in its respective program.
The course consists of four modules, each organized as seminars or workshops. The modules may also involve pre-course assignments, group works, laboratory exercises, industry presentations or site visits.
Each module spans approximately three consecutive workdays.
These four modules are held at the four cooperating institutions:
- University of South-Eastern Norway (campus Vestfold)
- Western Norway University of Applied Sciences (campus Haugesund)
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology (campus Ålesund)
- UiT The Arctic University of Norway (campus Tromsø).
The dates for the modules will be communicated no later than 5 weeks prior to first module. A detailed module programme and the pre-assignment instructions will be announced prior to each module start.
Recommended reading will be provided prior to each module.
|Off campus exam||30.05.2024 14:00 (Hand in)||Passed / Not Passed|
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Module 1 - participation||Approved – not approved|
|Module 2 - participation||Approved – not approved|
|Module 3 - participation||Approved – not approved|
|Module 4 - participation||Approved – not approved|
|Peer review||Approved – not approved|
Candidates must attend and fulfill the assignments for all four modules within a 2-year time frame to complete the course.
While full attendance for all modules is expected, participants may provide valid reasons for absences not exceeding 20% of the total course duration.
Prior to submission of the exam, a peer review of the manuscript will be facilitated to allow for feedback and improvement.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: MFA-8010
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for teknologi og sikkerhet
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet