ENG-3070 Varieties of English - 10 ECTS
This course is mandatory for students in the MA programme in English Acquisition and Multilingualism and elective for students in the MA programme in teacher education year 8-13 (lektorutdanning trinn 8-13, studieretning engelsk, jf. progresjonskrav for år 4) and students in the MA programme in Theoretical Linguistics.
This course may be taken as a single course by students who qualify for admission to the MA programme in English Acquisition and Multilingualism.
A bachelor's degree (180 ECTS), or equivalent qualification, in English language, or a degree combining English language and literature (minimum 80 ECTS in English). Applicants who hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent issued in Europe, Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand: An average grade equivalent to C or better is required. Applicants who hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent issued in countries other than the above mentioned region/countries: An average grade equivalent to B or better is required.
Application code: 9371 - Enkeltemner på masternivå (Nordic applicants).
The students have the following learning outcomes:
The student has:
- general knowledge of varieties of English across the world
- more specific knowledge of one or more varieties of English, in terms of linguistic structure
- general knowledge about the spread and diversification of English
- general knowledge of theoretical approaches to variation, language contact and language change.
The student is:
- able to compare and contrast varieties of English with reference to different aspects of linguistic structure
- able to discuss theoretical and methodological issues related to language variation, language contact and language change, both orally and in writing.
Lectures, seminars, hands-on work with language data. The course is taught 2 hours per week for 13 weeks.
Quality assurance: All courses undergo a halfway evaluation once in a 2-year period at the master´s level. The Programme Board determines which programme options will be evaluated per year, and which courses will be evaluated by the students and the teacher per year.
|Assignment||28.05.2024 14:00 (Hand in)||A–E, fail F|
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Paper and presentation||Approved – not approved|
|Long Presentation||Approved – not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: ENG-3070
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for språk og kultur
- Spørsmål om emnet
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet