ELE-3608 Advanced Electric Drives - 5 ECTS
A relevant undergraduate Bachelor degree in Engineering program in power electronics and electrical machines. Basic knowledge in power systems is also an advantage.
In addition, the following requirements must be met:
- minimum 25 credits in mathematics (equivalent to Mathematical Methods 1, 2 og 3), 5 credits in statistics and 7,5 ects i physics on a higher level is required.
Application code: 9371
The course will describe the design, operation, and control of advanced electric drives by the use of power electronic converters.The emphasis is on control algorithms and dynamic operating characteristics of electrical machines. Electric transportation (vehicles, ships, aircrafts) will be used as application of electric drives throughout the course. Laboratory experiments is a central and integrated part of the course.
- Load modelling of mechanical and electric systems
- Dynamic operating characteristics
- Induction machines, PMSM, BLDC and reluctance machines
- Advanced control strategies of AC drives based on vector control and direct torque control.
- Regenerative motor drives
- Sensorless control
After passing this course, the student shall have the following learning outcome:
- The candidate will have an insight in rotating electrical machines and their application
- The candidate can explain the functionality of power converters for motor drives
- The candidate knows how to use simulation software such as MATLAB to support all phases from specification to design of power electronic controlled drives
- The candidate has knowledge on using scientific instruments and rapid prototyping systems in developing control algorithms
- The candidate will be able to design drive systems based on engineering requirements
- The candidate can create mathematical load models of mechanical and electric systems
- The candidate can create simulation models of power electronic converters, control algorithms and mechanical systems with application to electric drives
- The candidate can apply advanced control algorithms and strategies to control motor drives in a laboratory environment
- The candidate can design and select components for power electronic systems based on mechanical and electric system requirement specifications
- The candidate will gain competence in modern design activity in the field of industrial electronics related to drives
- The candidate will gain competence in the technology behind electric transport
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements. Please see the Admission requirements" section".
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412.
|Oral exam||45 Minutes||A–E, fail F|
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Exercises||Approved – not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Narvik |
- ECTS: 5
- Course code: ELE-3608
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for elektroteknologi
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet