BIO-2610 Bachelor Thesis in Biotechnology - 10 ECTS
Applicants from Nordic countries: Generell studiekompetanse + Matematikk R1 eller (S1+S2) og enten Matematikk (R1+R2) eller Fysikk (1+2) eller Kjemi (1+2) eller Biologi (1+2) eller Informasjonsteknologi (1+2) eller Geologi (1+2) eller Teknologi og forskningslære (1+2).
International applicants: Higher Education Entrance Qualification and certified language requirements in English. It is a requirement that students have some prior knowledge of biology and ecology, chemistry and mathematics (Participants must have taken introductory level university courses, and achieved pass grades, in these subjects).
A list of the requirements for the Higher Education Entrance Qualification in Norway can be found on the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education website - nokut.no
Application code: 9197 (Nordic applicants).
- Practical, individual laboratory work under supervision on a given subject (individual projects) in biotechnology.
- Theoretical project can be done in agreement with teacher as an alternative to a practical project.
- A list of titles and topics (and supervisors) is given at the beginning of the semester.
- The experimental work will go on during the whole semester, but in total, it will mean approximately 6 weeks of experimental work in the laboratory.
- The writing process for the thesis will go on during the whole semester with 4 intermediate submissions (separate deadlines).
- One final report submission on the completed term paper (Bachelor thesis exam).
Objectives of the course
After having completed the course, students will be able to:
- Describe how to address a problem (subject)
- Describe methods used in the practical laboratory work (or described in a theoretical thesis)
- Describe and present findings and interpret the importance and conclusions
- Read and find scientific information (references) on a scientific topic
- Learn to use methods in the practical laboratory work
- Work independently in a laboratory
- Organize practical work in the laboratory
- Write a report structured in an IMRAD format and plan the writing process daily in accordance with a proposed plan
- Complete assignments and a report (thesis) before the deadlines
- Work in collaboration with members (supervisor team) within a research group
- Work independently
- Evaluate and present scientific data in a laboratory report (thesis)
- Introduction at the beginning of the semester with presentation of the possible projects/tasks available. A given supervisor(s) or supervisor team is appointed for each project.
- Students choose from projects that are presented in class.
- Lectures and feedback focusing on reports throughout the semester.
- Each project will be done in the research group(s) of the supervisor(s)/supervisor team(s) the Norwegian College of Fishery Science (NFH). Projects can also be done in collaboration with external partners.
- Guidance, practical and theoretical, by the supervisor(s) within the objective and work of the project.
- Training of writing a scientific report and reading scientific literature. The writing process starts at the beginning of the semester. Submission of different chapters of the report each month (introduction in January/February, material and methods in March, results in April and discussion in early May).
- Lectures, discussion/seminar/guidance, before/after each submission.
Information to incoming exchange students
This course is available for inbound exchange students.
This course has academic prerequisites. Please see the «Admission requirements» section for more information.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
|Assignment||A–E, fail F|
Work requirementTo take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Reports (on given deadlines)||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: BIO-2610
- Responsible unit
- Norges fiskerihøgskole
Klara StensvågProfessor/ marin bioteknologi
Kvanli, AndersRådgiver, Bioteknologi, Marin bioteknologi, eksamensadministrasjon
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet