BIO-2504 Fish Physiology - 10 ECTS
Nordic applicants: Admission requirements are generell studiekompetanse + REALFA.
Application code: 9197
International applicants: Higher Education Entrance Qualification and certified language requirements in English. A list of the requirements for the Higher Education Entrance Qualification in Norway can be found on the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education website - nokut.no
All applicants: The course requires basic knowledge in biology and ecology. Basic knowledge in chemistry and mathematics is an advantage.
After completing the course, the students should know:
- The structure, function and physiology of major organs in fish; the nervous system and sense organs, the respiratory and circulatory systems, the digestive system, the kidneys and the osmoregulatory system, the endocrine organs and the reproductive system.
- How environmental factors such as temperature, photoperiod and water quality affect the physiology of fish, with particular emphasis on coldwater species.
- Common causes of stress in fish kept in captivity, with special emphasis on cultured species (e.g. Atlantic salmon).
- How to read, discuss and present scientific data.
The students should be able to:
- Describe the structure and function of major organs in fish, and explain their physiology.
- Describe how environmental factors such as temperature, photoperiod and water quality affect the homeostasis of fish, with particular emphasis on physiological adaptations in coldwater species.
- Describe the General Adaptation Syndrome and how abiotic (environmental) and biotic (e.g. food, behavior) stressors may affect the homeostasis and physiology of fish.
- Write a scientific report based on laboratory work.
The course will give the students:
- A general background in fish physiology.
- An understanding of how important biotic and abiotic factors affect the physiology and welfare of cultured fish.
- Insights into how experimental studies on fish are performed.
- Skills in reading, discussing and presenting scientific data.
|School exam||02.12.2022 09:00||4 Hours||A–E, fail F|
Work requirementTo take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Lab report||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: BIO-2504
- Responsible unit
- Norges fiskerihøgskole
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet