Disputas - Master of Science Cornelius Quigley
Master of Science Cornelius Quigley will Wednesday March 3rd at 12:15 PM publically defend his thesis for the PhD degree in Science
Title of the thesis:
«Determination of the Dielectric Properties of Marine Surface Slicks Using Synthetic Aperture Radar»
Popular scientific abstract:Over the course of the last three decades, Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) has proven itself to be an effective monitoring technology for marine applications. The clear benefits of using SAR as opposed to optical devices is that SAR is insensitive to cloud cover, lighting conditions and can also provide imagery to a high degree of resolution. Given these benefits, there is a large incentive to implement SAR as a primary detection mechanism for marine oil spills due to the fact that SAR is capable of reliably providing data on a semi-daily basis. With increasing levels of maritime traffic due to declines in Arctic multiyear sea ice as well as risks associated with oil and gas exploration in the Arctic, being able to derive important geophysical information on the state of an oil slick is important for the decision-making process of first responders and clean-up personnel.
The thesis is published in Munin and is available at: https://munin.uit.no/handle/10037/20597
- Professor Torbjørn Eltoft, Department of Physics and Technology, UiT (main supervisor)
- Professor Camilla Brekke, Department of Physics and Technology, UiT
- Senior Researcher Veronique Miegebielle, Total
- Dr. Martin Gade, Institut für Meereskunde, University of Hamburg, Germany (1. Opponent)
- Assistant Professor Brent Minchew, Department of Earth, Atmosphere and Planitary Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA (2. Opponent)
- Professor Rune Graversen, Department of Physics and Technology, UiT (internal member and leader of the committee)
Both opponents will participate remotely to the defence.
Leader of the public defense:
The leader of the public defense is Professor Arne O. Smalås , Dean, Faculty of Science and Technology, UiT.
Opposition ex auditorio:
If you have any questions for the candidate during the public defence, please send an e-mail to the leader of the public defence. They will announce the questions during the defence.
The defense will be streamed via Mediasite:
UiT follows the national guidelines regarding infection control. A maximum of 20 people are allowed in the auditorium during the defence, as long as everybody keeps a distance of 1 meter at all times.