INF-8207 Advanced mHealth systems and applications - 10 ECTS
Application deadline is June 1st. Application code: 9303. Remember to write the course code in the extra information field.
Registration for class and exam in Studentweb by September 1st.
PhD students in science at UiT go directly to Studentweb to register for class and exam. Others need to apply, and be granted admission prior to register for class and exam.
This course covers advanced principles of mHealth (mobile health) systems and applications. The course addresses classic principles for design and implementation of mHealth systems and applications and discusses emerging mHealth trends from the international research front. Particularly, the following topics will be addressed:
- Health Monitoring for different patients- and population groups
- Motivational and persuasive techniques and mechanisms in mHealth for different patients- and population group
- Self-management systems in mHealth for people with chronic conditions and NCDs
- Evaluation criteria for mHealth systems and applications
- Reducing diagnostic errors through the use of mHealth systems and applications
- Knowledge of state of the art literature on mHealth systems and applications.
- Knowledge of design and implementation principles of modern mHealth systems and applications.
- Hands on experience with design and implementation of mHealth systems and applications.
- Knowledge of how advanced mHealth systems and applications can be contribute to patient treatment and health management.
- Mastering discussion of advanced scientific papers on mHealth systems and applications.
- Skills in prototyping of mHealth systems and applications including its architecture, design, and implementation.
- Analyze the behavior of the developed mHealth prototype(s).
- Skills in presenting mHealth system(s) and application(s).
- Identify research problems and challenges in mHealth.
- Manage to discuss how mHealth systems and applications can contribute to better health care.
- List the state-of-art tools and techniques for addressing research problems and challenges in mHealth systems and applications.
- Competence to read scientific literature related to mHealth, and carefully extract information from it and present it coherently in public.
- Competence in selecting adequate approach to design and implementation of mHealth and mobile systems and applications.
- Competence in asking relevant questions about mHealth and mobile systems and applications.
- Conduct reviews, writing, and presentations of mHealth and mobile systems.
- Take part in on-line discussions of research on mHealth systems and applications.
- Competence in writing systematic review papers.
Oral exam counting 100%. Approved assignments give access to the final oral exam.
Grading scale: "Passed" / "Not-passed"
Course requirements: The coursework includes up to 3 written assignments graded "Approved" / "Not approved". Oral presentation of the assignments and demonstration of a working system can be claimed. Participation in the seminars is mandatory.
(One of the assignments will be different for INF-8207 and INF-3910-4.)
Additional work for PhD students following INF-8207 (and not INF-3910-4):
- Prepare and give oral presentations of chosen research papers in the seminars.
- Write a systematic review paper of an individually chosen mHealth area (up to 3 co-authors per review)
Re-sit examination: It will not be given a re-sit examination in in this course.
Postponed examination: Students with valid grounds for absence will be offered a postponed an oral exam. If practically possible the exam is arranged during the semester as soon as the reasons for absence have ceased.