BIO-2508 Aquaculture I - 10 ECTS
On completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Have a broad knowledge of aquaculture production in the world, from algae to fish.
- Describe farming techniques for species that are common to the Norwegian aquaculture industry.
- Have an understanding of how fish hatcheries are built-up, based on the biological and technological prerequisites of each species.
- Have knowledge of basic principles of fish breeding / genetics as well as nutrition and health.
- Have basic knowledge of the ecological effects of aquaculture, focusing on marine cage culture and environmentally sustainable production.
- Be able to understand the general theory, methods and techniques used for the cultivation of aquatic organisms.
- Knowing the principles of nutrition, feed composition and growth in fish.
- Describe the most common fish diseases and parasites and know how to deal with these.
- Have an understanding of the growing aquaculture industry, and see the need and the challenges of cultivating a range of aquatic species in an environmental sustainable manner.
- Be able to acquire relevant information, exploit, and benefit from research-based knowledge in aquaculture.
- Communicate and exchange views on the most central questions, challenges and different solutions in aquaculture.
- Understand the role and impact that the aquaculture industry has within the food-producing sector.
This course is available for inbound exchange students.
This course has academic prerequisites. Please see the «Prerequisite» section for more information.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
4 hour written exam. A graded scale of five marks from A to E for pass and F for fail. Examination questions will be given in English and Norwegian and may be answered either in English or a Scandinavian language.
In order to sit an examination, the student must complete and gain approval for any coursework requirements.
Obligatory coursework requirements:
Participation to the excursion and delivery of an excursion report (Pass/Fail).
There will be a re-sit examination for this course.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: BIO-2508
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for arktisk og marin biologi