BYG-3801 Fluid Mechanics - 5 ECTS
Recommended prerequisites: Mathematical courses according to prerequisite for the Master degree programs in Integrated Building Technology and Engineering Design.
The following courses gives reduction in ECTS-points: SMN6200 Fluid Mechanics, 5 ECTS-credits
Application code: 9371
Introduction to Fundamental of Fluid Mechanics: fluid characteristics, elementary fluid dynamics, fluid kinematics, differential analysis of fluid flow, flow over immersed bodies, lift & drag, differential analysis of fluid flow, dimensional analysis, similitude & modelling, viscous flow in pipes, turbomachines and ventilation & pressure distribution in buildings.
Student project - Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD): The students are going to investigate a fluid flow problem using numerical simulations and to make the necessary documentation and reporting from the project.
Topic for student project will selected by the students themselves and report-format will be given by lecturer.
Students have to pass the student project prior to the exam.
After passing this course the student should have obtained the following learning outcome:
Knowledge and understanding
The student shall have the knowledge and understanding about;
- Fluid Mechanics and how basic equations for fluid flow can be derived (Bernoulli, Navier Stokes, Energy Equation), which equations can be used to solve practical problems in various flow situations.
- how laboratory and numerical models can describe complex flow fields.
The student should be able to;
- see the connection between basic equations and solution of practical flow problems.
- identify which problems can be computed with simplified approaches and which cases that need a more advance approach/knowledge.
- compute or model basic fluid flow problem and perform reporting from the project.
- The student will manage to apply theoretical concepts and terminology of Fluid Mechanics in analysis and solution of practical fluid flow problems.
Coursework/ Course requirements:
Mandatory project with one report (pass/fail). The students have to pass the student project prior to the exam. The mandatory project must be submitted within 11 days after last lecture week. Students have to use software at the UiT in Narvik.
Examination and assessment:
A written school exam, 3 hours (100%). A-F grading scale are given, where F is not passed.
A re-sit exam will be arranged for students that achieves the grading F.
Students that have passed the mandatory project must not repeat this project prior to a re-sit exam.
- About the course
- Campus: Narvik |
- ECTS: 5
- Course code: BYG-3801
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for bygg, energi og materialteknologi