ENG-1122 Introduction to Literature - 10 ECTS
The students have the following learning outcomes:
The students have:
- An understanding of generic conventions and innovative techniques that contribute to the development of several literary forms, such as poetry, short stories, novels and plays
The students are able to:
- read critically and interpret a variety of literary texts
- recognize and use terminology related to the formal analysis of literature
- explain ideas in a succinct, coherent manner and support them with close readings of texts
- express complex ideas in precise and correct English
13 weeks of teaching (4 hours of teaching per week).
Quality assurance: All courses undergo a halfway evaluation once in a 3-year period at the bachelor's level. The Programme Board determines which programme options will be evaluated per year, and which courses will be evaluated by the students and the teacher per year.
This course is available for inbound exchange students. There are no academic prerequisites to add this course to your Learning Agreement. A good command of oral and written English is recommended.
Do you have questions about this course? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
The following coursework requirements must me completed and approved in order to take the final exam:
- An essay (1200-1500 words) that focuses on one or two of the literary works on the reading list, plus a rough draft for the essay. All written works is based on the following standard: Times New Roman, 12, 1,5, 2,5 cm.
- Students must also complete the iKomp course offered through the library while enrolled in this course (http://ikomp.no/)
The exam will consist of:
- A 6-hour written (digital) school exam in WISEflow.
Performance in the course will be assessed with the grades A-F. Grades are A-E for passed and F for failed.A re-sit examination is offered in in the beginning of the following semester in cases of grade F. A postponed examination is offered in the beginning of the following semester if the student is unable to take the final exam due to illness or other exceptional circumstances.
The deadline for registering (via the Studentweb) for the re-sit/postponed examination is 15 January (for autumn semester exams). The new exam date will be announced in the Studentweb approximately in the beginning of February (for autumn semester exams).
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: ENG-1122
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for språk og kultur