MBI-3014 Infection, inflammation and immunity - 10 ECTS
The course is an elective course for students accepted to the Master´s program in Biomedicine.
The course can be taken as a singular course by students with a Bachelor´s degree in Biomedicine or similar (180 ECTS).
Recommended prerequisites: Basic knowledge at University Bachelor level in animal/human immunology and microbiology.
Application deadline for nordic applicants is 1st of December. Applicationcode: 9371
Admission requirements: see admission requirements for the Masterprogram in biomedicine
After the course, the students should be able to:
- discuss central characteristics of viral, bacterial, and eukaryotic infectious agents
- explain what is meant by the human microbiome, and give examples of how the human microbiome may be linked to disease
- discuss the theoretical background of treatment strategies to infectious agents, including antibiotics and emergence of antimicrobial resistance, and alternative antimicrobial strategies.
- explain immune responses to infections caused by bacteria, virus, and eukaryotic organisms
- discuss mechanisms used by bacterial and viral agents to evade the host immune system
- explain and discuss causes and hallmarks of sterile inflammation and autoimmunity
- describe the basic histopathological features of inflammation caused by bacteria, virus, eukaryotic organisms, and autoimmunity
- can analyze and assess different information sources about a course topic in a critical manner
- identify basic histological features of inflammation in tissue sections
- discuss ethical issues related to treatment of infectious agents/antimicrobial treatment
- communicate about topics in infection, inflammation, and immunity for peers both orally, and in writing
Written exam (4h). Grade A-F (F-Fail)
The following coursework must be completed in order to attend the written exam:
- Participation in the groupwork and seminars
- Participation in the laboratory exercise, including introductory lectures
- Completion of all tests that are arranged during the semester
A re-sit exam/postponed exam will be arranged early in the following semester, for candidates who failed the exam or who, for valid reasons, were unable to attend.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: MBI-3014
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for medisinsk biologi