MBI-3016 Human physiology - 10 ECTS
The course is an elective course for students accepted to the Master´s program in Biomedicine.
The course can be taken as a singular course by students with a Bachelor´s degree in Biomedicine or similar (180 ECTS).
Recommended prerequisites: Basic knowledge at University Bachelor level in physiology, biochemistry and cell biology.
Application deadline for nordic applicants is 1st of December. Applicationcode: 9371
Admission requirements: see the admission requirements for the Master program in biomedicine
After the course, the students should be able to:
- outline the short- and long-term regulation of blood pressure and discuss the pathophysiology of circulatory shock and essential hypertension
- summarise the regulation of cardiac output by alteration of cardiac inotropy and venous return
- discuss factors affecting pulmonary ventilation, circulation, and pulmonary gas-exchange, and describe the control of breathing
- compare physiological responses to acid/base disturbances and describe examples of metabolic and respiratory disorders
- discuss endocrine and neuroendocrine maintenance of metabolic homeostasis, growth and reproductive function, and describe the pathophysiology of common endocrine disorders
- explain the regulation of gastrointestinal motility, secretion and absorption of nutrients during different physiological settings, and discuss mechanisms that regulate dietary balance and energy expenditure
- explain the development of hypertrophy, atrophy and sarcopenia in skeletal muscles and discuss the muscular adaptations to acute and long-term changes in physical activity
- explain integration of sensory input in the central nervous system, the interplay between different areas of the brain and spinal cord, and the induction of simple and complex motor responses
- critically discuss and assess current (potentially conflicting) hypotheses and ideas within human physiology
- communicate orally and in writing, relevant issues within human physiology
- apply knowledge within physiology in new areas in order to implement advanced work tasks and project
The exam for the course consists two parts.
- A written exam (3 hours)
- An oral examination.
The written exam and the oral exam each counts 50% of the final grade for the course.
Alphabetical grades A-F (F-fail)
The following coursework must be completed in order to attend the written and the oral exam:
- Participation in the lectures/seminars
- Participation /approval of oral and written tasks given through the course
A re-sit exam/postponed exam will be arranged early in the following semester, for candidates who failed the exam or who, for valid reasons, were unable to attend.
Students who failed the exam must re-sit both the written and the oral examination.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: MBI-3016
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for medisinsk biologi