PSY-2553 Cognitive Psychology and dissemination of science - 10 ECTS
The course provides an introduction to cognition and dissemination of science. The course should give knowledge of cognitive functions and mechanisms with particular emphasis on human basic cognitive processes and their weaknesses. This will be elaborated on implementation/replication of classic experiments, and through the oral presentation of these.
There are about 6 lectures related to the experiment/ practical exercises. In addition, an introduction on how to make a poster will be given
Dissemination is conducted through the poster work and oral presentations on a "student conference".
When the course is completed and passed the student has received the following learning outcomes:
- Explain the cognitive mechanisms in attention, perception, memory, decision making, thinking and language
- Explain the distortions in perception, memory and thinking and ways to test these
- Know the factors for differences in cognition between people
- Conduct a cognitive experiment
- Create a scientific poster
- Create the outline for an oral presentation
- Plan, conduct and present an experiment, including
- be able to explain the background of the experiment
- defend the method
- interpret the results
- present the results precisely for a wide audience
- to apply method skills (statistics) on an "own" experiment
Letter grade (A-F)
Two part exams Part 1: Poster. The grading scheme for the poster will be announced at course start. Up to two students can create a poster together.
Part 2: 2-hour written exam
Part 1 counts 40% and part 2 counts 60% of the overall grade.
Both exams must be passed in order for the course to be passed.
There will not be arranged a re-sit exam for this course. Everything has to be repeated.
Work requirements are participation in the practical exercises (4 hours) including being instructor for one experiment, and oral poster presentation
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: PSY-2553
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for psykologi