FYS-8012 Pattern recognition - 10 ECTS
PhD students or holders of a Norwegian master´s degree of five years or 3+ 2 years (or equivalent) may be admitted. PhD students must upload a document from their university stating that there are registered PhD students. This group of applicants does not have to prove English proficiency and are exempt from semester fee.
Holders of a Master´s degree must upload a Master´s Diploma with Diploma Supplement / English translation of the diploma. Applicants from listed countries must document proficiency in English. To find out if this applies to you see the following list:http://www.nokut.no/Documents/NOKUT/Artikkelbibliotek/Utenlandsk_utdanning/GSUlista/2016/GSU_list_English_14112016.pdf
For more information on accepted English proficiency tests and scores, as well as exemptions from the English proficiency tests, please see the following document: https://uit.no/Content/254419/PhD_EnglishProficiency_100913.pdf
PhD students at UiT The Arctic University of Norway register for the course through StudentWeb .
External applicants apply for admission through SøknadsWeb.
Application code 9303.
All external applicants have to attach a confirmation of their status as a PhD student from their home institution. Students who hold a Master of Science degree, but are not yet enrolled as a PhD-student have to attach a copy of their master's degree diploma. These students are also required to pay the semester fee.
More information regarding PhD courses at the Faculty of Science and Technology is found here.
Knowledge - The student can
- describe the concept of classification of objects in data analysis
- explain clustering of objects in data analysis
- identify and compare different ways to classify and cluster data
- describe important pattern recognition applications in society
Skills - The student can
- analyze Bayes classifiers in terms of error probabilities
- design linear classifiers for minimization of squared errors and other criteria
- design and analysze non-linear classifiers in the form of neural networks
- perform feature extraction and data transformation, e.g. using eigenvectors
- explain different clustering algorithms, and analyze their strengths
- implement in practice all methods discussed in the course for analysis of data
General expertise - The student can
- appreciates the importance of pattern recognition in society
- work with pattern recognition methods for analysis of real data
Portfolio assessment of a take-home examination counting about 25 % and a final oral examination counting about 75 %. All modules in the portfolio are assessed as a whole and one combined grade is given. Assessment scale: Letter grades A-F.
Re-sit examination (section 22): There is no access to a re-sit examination in this course.
Postponed examination (sections 17 and 21): Students with valid grounds for absence will be offered a postponed examination. Both postponed take-home examination and postponed oral examination are arranged during the semester if possible, otherwise early in the following semester.
See indicated sections in Regulations for examinations at the UiT The arctic university of Norway for more information.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: FYS-8012
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for fysikk og teknologi
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet