På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
FYS-3001 Physics of remote sensing - 10 ECTS
The course is available as a singular course. The course is also available to exchange students and Fulbright students.
The course will only be taught if there are sufficiently many students. Please contact the student adviser as soon as possible if you are interested in following the course.
Knowledge - The student can
- describe how electromagnetic (EM) radiation is generated
- explain the propagation of EM waves and how they interact with matter through absorption, scattering and emission
- recognize spectral signatures of gases and solid matter
- describe radiation concepts and transfer
- explain basic antenna theory
- describe how a synthetic aperture radar works
Skills - The student can
- interpret multi-spectral remote sensing images
- interpret spectral signatures
- interpret SAR images
- identify artifacts created in the SAR imaging process
General expertise - The student can
- understand the complete chain of processing involved the generation of remote sensing products; physics, the sensor, propagation effects, analysis aspects
Portfolio assessment of project assignments counting about 40 % and a final oral examination counting about 60 %. All modules in the portfolio are assessed as a whole and one combined grade is given. Assessment scale: Letter grades A-F. Re-sit examination (section 22): There is no access to a re-sit examination in this course. Postponed examination (sections 17 and 21): Students with valid grounds for absence will be offered a postponed examination. Both postponed take-home examination and postponed oral examination are arranged during the semester if possible, otherwise early in the following semester. See indicated sections in Regulations for examinations at the UiT The arctic university of Norway for more information.
Coursework requirements: Access to the final examination requires submission of project assignments.
Date for examinationOral 18.05.2020
Project assignment hand out date 23.03.2020 hand in date 06.04.2020
The date for the exam can be changed. The final date will be announced in the StudentWeb early in May and early in November.